pc will not start up

nosure 18:39 19 Apr 04

hi there can someone help.
the problem is that my friends pc will not start up, when you switch it on it it goes straight to the screen that gives you the choice to start normally or in safe mode,when you try to start in normal mode it takes you to the screen that you see before windows starts (windows xp home edition) with the green bar then it flashes blue and goes back to the same screen.it wont go any further than that.she has recently installed avg and zone alarm, when she ran avg it found 2 virus's and it got rid of them but since then it has been acting funny and now it wont go past the start page.
it runs win xp home
cpu type pentium 4 (r)
cpu speed 1:36ghz
system memery 128mb
can any body help please

Rayuk 18:41 19 Apr 04

Does it start in safe mode?

nosure 00:24 20 Apr 04

hi no i wont it just does the same thing

nosure 00:25 20 Apr 04

hi i can get in to the BIOS no probs but thats all

Rayuk 19:11 20 Apr 04

click here
For the WinXP Recovery console.

nosure 23:07 20 Apr 04

hi i was talking to my mate today and he was wanting me to reformat his hard drive, because he has got all his work backed up.
could you please tell me how to do this as i am not totaly sure
thanks

Rayuk 17:25 21 Apr 04

You can do this during the instal of WinXP.

Rayuk 17:29 21 Apr 04

Perhaps this may be of more use to you than my last post.Fdisk and formatting
click here

nosure 23:30 26 Apr 04

hi
i went over the stuff in the link's you sent but when i went over to my mate's and turned on the pc all that happend was it went to a black screen and said error loading operating system
i put in the win xp disk and went to the recovery it then ask's which windows installation would you like to log onto.
im no sure what to put in. could someone please tell me
thanks

Rayuk 18:26 27 Apr 04

I would presume it is 1

nosure 21:02 27 Apr 04

hi
thats what i thought but i try'd that it just goes to D:WINDOWS> thats as far as it goes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…