PC will not shut down

sak41 09:13 12 Oct 05

Mt pc will not shut down, itsays it is shutting down but it does'nt. I am running Windows 98, any advice please.

Thank you

Diodorus Siculus 09:24 12 Oct 05

Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition
click here

p;3 10:52 12 Oct 05

I must confess that with my 98se version that does this sometimes, I press my reboot button to restart to allow me to close down properly ; how long has this been happening for you and does it happen all the time or just occasionally?

quack 14:58 12 Oct 05

Try here click here
and download shutdown patch

sak41 15:59 12 Oct 05

this happens all the time, i too turn off my computer otherwise it would stay on all day. Will i damage the pc if i switch off this way ?

User-312386 16:49 12 Oct 05

After the computer has shutdown do this

Press the ON button and start tapping the F5 key, this Will get you into SAFE MODE

Now click Start>Shutdown and when the box pops up click 'restart in ms-dos'

When you have a dos screen type scanreg/fix

If after the fix you just get a blank screen type 'EXIT' (Without the quotes)

p;3 22:11 12 Oct 05

is this getting any better or..??

VoG II 22:16 12 Oct 05

click here should keep you off the streets for a while.

Richard Jude-331895 22:40 12 Oct 05

I've got two (2) PCs running WIN98SE & both have the shutdown patch installed but sometimes they decide to "hang" on shutdown. My son told me to hit either the ESC key or the CTRL key for the PCs to display "It is now safe to shutdown your computer" (As you can see they're old PCs). To my surprise it worked. It doesn't work everytime though, when it doesn't I just hit the off switch (keep the power switch pressed for about five (5) seconds for modern machines). My sons PCs always booted up with no trouble using this procedure.
Good Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…