PC will not run

raysophie 12:14 09 Mar 09

Asking this question for a friend, his HP Desktop computer has XP running, it seems that when he starts up it starts to load windows (blue bar) then freezes and gives message Shut Computer down, mew hardware or software installed then gives a couple of options of how to restart. He has tried all of these with the same reults he has now tried to use back up disc it starts to transfer data then locks up at 50% Can anyone offer advice what is going wrong and how to get him going again.

howard64 12:28 09 Mar 09

could be an overheat problem such as the fan on the cpu not working properly. System shutting down to protect the pc.

birdface 13:19 09 Mar 09

Will it start in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts]

raysophie 13:24 09 Mar 09

He has tried that with no luck

birdface 14:20 09 Mar 09

Old computer.Maybe check the air vents are not clogged up with dust and fluff.If so inside will need cleaning out as well.Anything plugged into his USB ports maybe remove them and try again without them.

raysophie 15:26 09 Mar 09

He has checked fan etc and he said his BIOS ??? said fan speeds and temp OK. He has retried his back up discs and now only getting 11% through set up. Seems like it may need to go to PC hospital, it is only 2 years old.

birdface 15:33 09 Mar 09

Well he can do a repair but would need the XP Disc for that or borrow one of the same kind.Never done it myself but no doubt someone will give him the information that he needs.

raysophie 15:44 09 Mar 09

He only has the back up disc he made, I have a copy of xp but that is for a Dell and when I tried to use it on another computer it would not let me use it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…