Pc will not play DVD's

SB23 16:56 04 Oct 06

Since having to reinstall my os, (XP), my pc now will not play any of my DVD's.
WMP11 now says that it is missing a decoder, it then promptly takes me to a page where you can select what you need, and pay for it.
I cannot remember how I used to play them before, but I know for a fact that I didn't have pay for anything.

You all know me, are there any freebie players out there?

Thanks

Steve

Gongoozler 17:01 04 Oct 06

I don't know if any of them are any good, but entering "free dvd player" into Google came up with several options. This one was at the top of the list click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 04 Oct 06
  skidzy 18:57 04 Oct 06
  Totally-braindead 19:23 04 Oct 06

You have 3 choices, download a free codec and install it into Windows Media Player, download a free DVD player (which I tried and found rubbish although I'm sure there are some good ones now) or lastly buy a copy of either Power DVD or Win DVD. Both of the latter can be bought for about a fiver if you shop about or are sometimes provided free with hardware, I got my copy of Power DVD with a graphics card and a mate got his with a DVD recorder.
I'm sure you realise by now that Windows Media Player does not, by default, play DVDs.

Gongoozler 09:12 05 Oct 06

Power DVD here for less than £4 including postage click here

SB23 15:03 05 Oct 06

Thanks for your replies.

I've settled for the avs dvd player from the link posted by skidzy. Its ok, and will do for now, but I think I'll have to get a copy of PowerDVD, especially if I can get it that cheap.

Thanks all

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…