PC will not load windows xp at all

PorkFarmer 14:21 22 Jun 09

Yesterday i downloaded adobe reader to open and read a document then pc was switched off accidentally at the mains and now it will not start at all??? When switched on it says detecting IDE drives then it asks for me to select operating system i select then it says windows did not start successfully so i choose start windows normally...the windows sign comes up then the process starts again? please help i did notice it said HDD S.M.A.R.T capaility disabled if that means anything???

woodchip 14:34 22 Jun 09

Will it start in safe Mode? tapping F5 or F8 as it is starting

Technotiger 15:00 22 Jun 09

You can safely ignore the S.M.A.R.T. message.

Technotiger 15:04 22 Jun 09

Just for your further edification :-)

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 22 Jun 09

You have corrupted a windows file on the hard drive,

can you tap F8 during boot up and select

Last known good...

if that doesn't work then can you select

Safe mode

If you can get into safe mode

Start - Run - type
sfc /scannow
let windows scan and replace missing or corrupt windows files.

PorkFarmer 16:33 22 Jun 09

i have tried last known good and it just repeats the cycle again then i tried to do it in safe mode and again it repeated itself....i don't know what to do...this is so frustrating

PorkFarmer 17:00 22 Jun 09

just tried safe mode again and it came up a list of things with different drivers? and no flashing cursor to type anything

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 22 Jun 09

OK then you need to do a repair install.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

PorkFarmer 00:20 27 Jun 09

Thanks for your help but unfortunately when the disc was inserted it went off on one and gave no choice it just completely wiped the comp. i pressed enter after changing the boot order to start the set up and there were no other choices it just wiped the lot..............oh well maybe this time i will learn from my mistakes

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:48 27 Jun 09

That sounds as if you used a recovery CD rather than a full XP CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant