PC will not boot into WinXP

TOPCAT® 14:01 05 Mar 05

Not yet familiar with XP myself but I'm going to have a look at a friend's computer shortly and try to get it sorted. Been told only that it will not boot into Windows. Not sure yet which version of XP is installed or whether it is SP1 or SP2. Can anyone please enlighten me on the best way to go about this?

I think I need to get into safe mode if possible to run scandisk etc, or into DOS to run certain commands. What would be the keys and DOS commands I would need to use please? Yours, ever grateful as usual! TC.

VoG II 14:06 05 Mar 05

Your best bet might be to attempt a System Restore first.

When booting press F8 to bring up the boot menu.

Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Log on with an account that is a member of the administrators group.

At the command prompt, type

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter

Failing that, I think that you will need to use the Recovery Console click here

Good luck!

VoG II 14:14 05 Mar 05

Also see click here and click here

TOPCAT® 14:30 05 Mar 05

Most vigilent and helpful as ever! :o)

Just for the record, I'll post back on my success, or otherwise, along with what fault(s)I find on the computer. Sneeking suspicion it may turn out to be viral! TC.

bretsky 14:56 05 Mar 05

Bookmarked.

TOPCAT® 20:38 06 Mar 05

Finally get to look at this PC, which is another Packard Bell, circa 2000, running WinXP Home Edition and Intel 2800 CPU. From what I can gather it has not been upgraded with the service packs.

On startup it gets to the screen where XP is loading, just briefly, then drops to a blue screen with the following message:

Unmountable_boot_volume

****Stop: Ox000000ED (0x8175DB20,0xC0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) It then goes on to suggest various ways of starting to safe mode or to the advanced startup options, then safe mode. Unfortunately, I carry out the suggestions/options but immediately revert back to the same screen each time.

I find from click here info on the error I get. No hardware or software has been added from when the PC was new, so I consider the file system to be damaged and cannot be mounted.

I need to use chkdsk /r as my second stop error parameter is exactly as the one shown in the MSKB link. Based on my access problems to access anything I try, is there anything else I can do to try to get to use chkdsk please. TC.

TOPCAT® 20:45 06 Mar 05

One option I see from the error message is to "disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing." How do I go about trying that please? It is an AMI BIOS Easy Setup Utilities, version 1.32. TC.

howard60 20:54 06 Mar 05

if your friend has an xp cd you could boot from it and 1 of the options is to repair the installation.

VoG II 20:56 06 Mar 05

Did you try Last Known Good Configuration from the boot menu?

howard60 20:57 06 Mar 05

with regard to the bios press either del or f1 or something similar when you switch on then go through the options within the bios and change the entry when you find it by following the instructions on screen. Each bios is different some you can alter by pressing page up or page down otheres require you to press the enter key to select the entry and then things like + and - keys.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:58 06 Mar 05

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…