PC will not boot - no display on monitor

CLONNEN 17:52 11 Apr 10

Yesterday I was on the internet (using IE 7 on Windows XP SP3) and was typing notes into Notepad when all of a sudden the system froze completely. Keyboard and mouse wouldn't do anything so I tried to hold the power button in to turn off. It wouldn't turn off so I switched off at the wall socket instead. Then it wouldn't boot back up.

The orange/amber hard drive activity light comes on and stays on permanently when I press the Power button. The PSU fan comes on - I can feel air coming out the back. The monitor display stays blank and its power light keeps flashing on and off.

So far I have moved the graphics card and the hard drives to an older computer and all these seem to be working fine.

Any idea what is actually causing the non-boot problem on my computer? Is it the PSU? Or has something on the motherboard blown?

Pineman100 18:12 11 Apr 10

If the PSU fan is working, then hopefully the PSU should be OK. Have you got a meter that you could attach to one of its leads to check its output? I believe you should get readings of 12V for the motor and 5V for the circuitry.

Have you put the master HDD back in and tried booting up again? I'm wondering whether the original problem arose from a bad HDD connection - power or data.

canarieslover 18:23 11 Apr 10

Very much sounds as if the PSU is the culprit. Can you use the older machines PSU in the newer to prove that the motherboard is OK?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 11 Apr 10

Refit graphics card
unplug DVD and HDDs
will it boot to an error message?

trebor 00:21 12 Apr 10

Try to replace exsisting RAM with other sticks. If you have more than one stick in situ, try taking one out at a time & re-placing them one at a time( best to try alternate RAM sticks though ). If you have no antisurg plugs on your equipment then you may have blown more than a stick or two of RAM.
If your computer "beeps" when switched on - then motherboard should be OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac