PC will not boot most of the time

Harry 15:59 PM 14 Sep 12

When I press the start button, the lights (switch and logo)and fans are working continually, the DVD drive light flashes for 2 seconds, the LED for the system lights up for about 3-5 seconds and then fails to go any further (no flashing lights). The fans work continuously. It just doesnt go to the boot process.

After I have switched on and off many times then sometimes the system boots up and it would work. Once switched off, I have to go through the same process. When the system works, it works flawlessly without any problems whatsoever.

I have changed the bios battery, tried to update the bios but I had the latest version, removed the cables to DVD and the hard drives. removed the 2 memory sticks and tried them with various combinations. checked for viruses.

The motherboard is 18months old.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Harry 16:14 PM 14 Sep 12

Just to mention that I also removed the the Graphic card, cleaned it and placed it back. Didnt make any difference.

woodchip 16:34 PM 14 Sep 12

Could be a Faulty PSU

KRONOS the First 17:00 PM 14 Sep 12

+1 for dodgy PSU.

KRONOS the First 17:24 PM 14 Sep 12

+1 for dodgy PSU.

KRONOS the First 17:25 PM 14 Sep 12

That's a new one! Double posts that are split.

T0SH 19:11 PM 14 Sep 12

Unplug any USB externals like hard drives card readers or any other device that have internal memory storage space including USB printers with built in memory card readers try booting if it works and repeats for a few cycles try replacing them singly

In my experience ATA switch mode power supply faults usually come with a bang and a puff of acrid smoke

Cheers HC

Harry 19:12 PM 14 Sep 12

Jock1e: Do you hear any bleeps at all as it tries to start.

I never heard any bleeps in the past or now. I think maybe the connector for the bleeps on the motherboard is not connected.

Harry 19:17 PM 14 Sep 12

I also unplugged all 3 USB connectors but didnt work.

I also reset bios settings to factory defaults. No luck so far.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:23 PM 14 Sep 12

Another vote for failed PSU

Harry 19:16 PM 17 Sep 12

I have made a slight progress.

After the system fails to boot, the fans and the decorative lights are working but the system lights goes off (as I mentioned in the beginning of the post), My 8 year old son tells me that it works when you press Ctrt+Alt+Delete.

I tried this keeping the Delete pressed for 2-3 seconds and it does boot as it should.

I still don't know what the problem is though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

HDR video: Everything you need to know

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know