PC will not boot after BSD

xania 22:22 13 Oct 11
Answered

My self bukt PC has two SATA HHDs and 1 SATA DVD RW drive + 1 IDE DVD RW drive. Suffered a BDS today follwoing which I cannot boot into Windows XP SP3. Normal boot and using last successful boot just continually wraps during the first screen (and the hhd light comes on strongly for half a second, then goes permanently off then suddenly comes on again more weakly); any form of safe mode stops as it lists the driver hotcore3.sys (and the hhd light is is the same); attempting a reinstallation of Windows using either DVD just continually shows 'Setup is starting Windows' (and the hhd light is is the same). To make matters worse, I have a bootable Acronis Trus Image backup of my system but this reoirets that it cannot see either HHD, once again whichever DVD drive I use

On boot-up the BIOS reports both HDDs as S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK

xania 22:33 13 Oct 11

One final check. I have put my PC main HHD in a cady and successfully rad the C:\ partition on my laptoip, rulling out any Hardware or MBR problem.

Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

rdave13 22:34 13 Oct 11

Dead hard drive in my humble opinion. S.M.A.R.T. isn't very good. To be honest I think it's worse than useless. Remove the hard drive to another PC or caddy and either run check disk or use a hard drive manager. Does Acronis have a capable one?

rdave13 22:35 13 Oct 11

You don't say which OS you're using but I'll guess Vista.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:41 13 Oct 11

boot to command prompt and run chkdsk /r

rdave13 22:43 13 Oct 11

Fruit Bat /\0/\, faster than you this time..lol but look as the replies times?

rdave13 23:48 13 Oct 11

Never mind. My last two posts (prior to my 10:43PM post) were posted before xania's 10:33PM post but it's been frigged.

xania 09:43 14 Oct 11

rdave13 - as already mentioned, have managedto read HHD easily in a caddy on my laptop so don't think there is an issue there. I also mentioned thta the system in question is Windows XP SP3

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - ok - i'll try this this afternoon. I forgot to mention that the physical drive has a number of partitions - the primary C: in the primary partition and, in the extended partiton D-K - the second HHD has backups of D and H-K. Fortunately, the crash happened 3 hours AFTER my automatic daily backup.

rdave13 10:16 14 Oct 11

I completely missed the XP bit. Serves me right for squinting at the screen and not searching for my glasses! Apologies.

xania 16:10 14 Oct 11

I have now connected my SATA HHD from the PC via a hopper to my laptop and succeeeded in copying some useful data across, so I'm pretty certain the HHD is OK. However, taking up Fruit Bat's suggestion, I have run chkdsk s: /r (the system drive comes in as s:\ on the laptop and the only problem found was some free space marked as allocated, but I also noticed that the drive was very full so have done some clearing down.

Unfortunately, after all this, there's no change. I fear the worst - a new motherboard.

rdave13 16:41 14 Oct 11

One other thing to try is change the sata cable in case it's faulty.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nvidia Titan X release date, price and specs UK: Nvidia's new Titan X GP102 for 2016 launching on 2t…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This Superman ride is a real rollercoaster that you wear a VR headset on

Apple 12-inch MacBook review (2016): A question of port