PC will not boot

HelenTherese 21:09 17 Oct 06

Please help me. I'm not very technical when it comes to hardware. I'm a software engineer!

My PC suddenly switched off and now it will not boot up. It does all the checking of the IDE and bus controllers and then says non-system disk in the CD drive and wants me to put a system disk in.

I have put in the disk I got with the PC when I bought it but it says it wants to re-install windows and the repair console doesnt seem to do anything. If I do re-install windows will it overwrite everything on my PC?

VoG II 21:18 17 Oct 06

Try a repair click here

ed-0 21:28 17 Oct 06

" It does all the checking of the IDE and bus controllers "

Is the hard drive shown when it is checking the IDE channels? If it is not, then it can not find your hard drive, so it will not repair.

Check the cdrom drive, did it have a disk in or the floppy drive for a disk. This can cause this error.

" If I do re-install windows will it overwrite everything on my PC? "

If your hard disk is present in the bios and you do that, yes it will overwrite everything.

If you can do a repair, as by VoG™, your data should stay intact.

HelenTherese 21:52 17 Oct 06

The repair saya there is no hard disk. Will I lose all my data now?

ed-0 13:21 18 Oct 06

" The repair saya there is no hard disk. Will I lose all my data now? "

So you need to go into the bios and check the settings, can you do that or have you not been there before?

If you are unsure post the make and model of the motherboard.

Or if you do not know it

post the string of code at the bottom of the first post page ( the page that is showing your ide drives and memory count ) We may be able to decipher the code and find which motherboard you have. We can then graphically show you how to check the bios.

remember if you go into the bios, you can do no harm. You can change settings to try and find things but if you do NOT save the settings, NOTHING would be changed. So the bios is not as scary as some people think.

The other way is to physically check the connections into the hard drive and the motherboard. Open the case ( with the machine turned off ) and push the grey wide IDE ribbon cable in to the hard drive, see if it is loose. Then do the same with the other end, push that connection into the motherboard.

About data loss.

You could save all your data by transferring the hard drive to another computer and setting the hard drive as a slave drive. This would be one way of making sure you do not loose your important data.

PA28 14:08 18 Oct 06

Can you check your hard drive by getting another software engineer friend to do a temporary lashup to another computer. That will set your mind at rest regarding your data and the way to go forward.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:50 18 Oct 06

Sounds like
1. faulty or loose IDE ribbon cable
2. loss of power to hard drive.
3. faulty hard drive

Switch off and unplug from mains.

remove side of case (small screws at rear and slide back)

click here

1st picture shows the rear of a CD drive but a hard drive is simular
check the IDE cable (3rd picture)
and power cable (2nd picture) is fully inserted in rear of drive and at motherboard connection (4th picture).

You could also try swapping cables with the one that goes to the CD (if it is a seperate cable.)

Reboot the PC and on the first screen it should show your harddrives and CD drives.

PS when you have done this you are now a hardware engineer ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now