PC web camera crashes my PC

LMcG 13:37 02 Oct 03

I have an Omnivision PC camera that worked fine on my old PC (win 98) but I cannot get it to work on my new one (XP home).

When I start the installation CD it loads the drivers and tells me to plug in the camera. When I do this the pc finds new hardware and tries to install it. If I cancel the XP installer the cd one does not know the camera has been plugged in. If I use the XP installer I get so far, it tells me the drivers are unsigned but I continue anyway, and it then reboots the PC. Is it just that the camera is ancient or can I salvage it somehow?

I downloaded DRV0519 but the same thing happened. I have also downloaded omnicamw2k drivers but have not tried it yet. It has also been suggested to me that the camera may be conflicting with another device when I try to install it but nothing shows in the device manager. Anyone any suggestions?

BarryKeith 14:04 02 Oct 03

Get the latest XP drivers from Omnivision, this should cure your problems. If not, you should be able to use almost any webcam driver software that is XP compatable as all webcams operate in the same manner. I run XP and have a Zoom webcam and an Aiptek trio and can run either one on the software for each manufacturer without problems.

LMcG 14:10 02 Oct 03

Thanks Barrykeith, I tried using omnicamw2k and it worked. Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…