PC Warranties & repair - can you buy privately?

Rikardos 10:12 08 Jul 03

Is there any recommendations (or indeed, any method at all) of getting a warranty for your pc if you've built it yourself. My PC is covered under my direct line home insurance (only up to 1500 though, and my PC was 1700) but what I would like is a similar service as a retail-bought pc, i.e. onsite repair for 3 years.

I haven't heard of any private companies offering this kind of service but since there's all this hoo-hah about Dixons and the competition commission it came to mind there might be other alternatives that are just not put forward.

-pops- 10:34 08 Jul 03

Have I got this wrong?

You built it yourself, right? Why, then can you not repair it yourself? If you have sufficient knowledge and expertise to build then you should be able to utilise that to repair.

If you're thinking about the cost of replacement parts, then the cost of an insurance policy such as the one you describe would far exceed the cost of one of two replacement components.

Belatucadrus 10:36 08 Jul 03

click here for Ikon, they're more into corporate accounts, so may not be interested in a one off home PC. Either way I would suspect that anybody offering a service arrangement would need to audit a home build and that's likely to cost before they do anything at all. Check in yellow pages see if anybody local offers a call out service.

Rikardos 10:58 08 Jul 03

Well, when I said that it was self-built - I ordered the bits and bobs and then another guy in Gloucester (I'm in bristol) assembled it for me as he was recommended by a mate of mine. However, it would be nice to have a proper helpline to ring up or organise an engineer to come around if I had a serious problem - I don't have a car and can't realistically lug the machine around town to various different shops.

Gaz 25 10:59 08 Jul 03

A point!

But I agree with the fist post, If you built it yourself you should be able to solve problems.

However, if something is faulty I would take it back to the supplier.

VoG II 11:01 08 Jul 03
  -pops- 11:06 08 Jul 03

In the circumstances you now describe, there is almost certain to be some local enthusiast who you could call upon to have a look at your machine should anything go wrong.

I used to do just this myself before the heart, arthritis and other things took a grip.

I stand by what I first said in regard to costs of insurance such as you request.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…