Pc Voltages

Axiom42 16:09 25 Mar 03

I have various computer which seem to have damaged motherboards, I'm assuming that this is due to high/low voltages in the workplace environment, however, I am unable to confirm this hipothesis as I do not know the range of voltage allowed for a PC, the switch at the back is set for 115V, but the power outlet ranges from 109 to 111.7 volts. Could this low voltage be causing the motherboard problems?

For anyone interested, the computer will startup but will not boot, then all of a sudden after 10 attempts of turning it off and on it boots up fine, memory and AMD CPU appear to be fine, battery also ok, any ideas are very welcome

Spirit Of Nightmare 2003 16:24 25 Mar 03

i have also had this kind of problem and i found that bying a voltage adapter helped this problem i havent had and trouble after so try that.

woodchip 16:25 25 Mar 03

You are in the wrong country for those kind a volt's it should be 230Volts you will blow every comp you plug in set to that volt's

Diemmess 17:05 25 Mar 03

You say you are in a workplace environment?
Is this where portable tools run with an isolation transformer converting 230v to 110v?

If so your supply circuit may be varying badly and Spirit's idea of a constant voltage power supply or a UPS is the way.

If you do go that far, then make very sure that your computer input voltage corresponds to the supply voltage, unless you want instant ruin.

Axiom42 15:25 26 Mar 03

I'm actually based in the Dominican Republic where the supply is 110V. The computers are connected to Inverters as the electrical supply is not very reliable here, often with the voltage rising and falling abruptly. The inverters apparently do have a voltage regulator built in, but as I said I need to know the correct voltage input for a PC as the rear of the PC specifies 115V and the voltage supplied varies between 109-111Volts.

Thanks again

DieSse 17:03 26 Mar 03

That kind of voltge difference should cause no problems - computer PSUs are switched-mode, which are very tolerant of out of spec voltages.

But - inverters are funny things - many of then do not supply sine wave outputs, but modified square wave outputs (look at their specs). These can be difficult for switched-mode PSUs to handle.

I know that doesn't help your problem, but I hope gives you a tad more knowledge about it.

woodchip 18:12 26 Mar 03

They have probably been destroyed by energy spik’s, you need to use a surge protector

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…