PC and Voltage query

Happy37 10:47 26 Dec 06

Hi all

Hope that you have all had a good Christmas and are all looking forward to the New Year.

My query is as follows:-

I have got a PC which has got a voltage selector switch so that I can use it here in the UK as well as the US - Is this correct?

The voltage for the UK is 220/240 volts, yet for the US, it is 110?

Is this correct? - please can someone let me know.

However, my query is this - my 2nd PC does not, as far as I am aware have a voltage selector switch.

In the near future, I am looking to move to the US - can I use the first PC which HAS got a voltage selector switch by switching the voltage to 110 volts and using it that way over there?

What about plugs and adaptors?

How can I go about using the 2nd PC in the US if it does not have a voltage selector switch?

Apart from taking all of the bits out of both my PCs and re-creating new PCs when I go abroad, is there a way that I can use the 2nd PC in the US by any means at all?

All replies and suggestions welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:55 26 Dec 06

1. The voltage for the UK is 220/240 volts, yet for the US, it is 110?
can I use the first PC which HAS got a voltage selector switch by switching the voltage to 110 volts and using it that way over there?

Correct, but you may need to purchase a power lead with the American plug.

2. How can I go about using the 2nd PC in the US if it does not have a voltage selector switch?

You will need to change the PSU to one supporting 110V AC input.

anskyber 10:55 26 Dec 06

I think that the USA is 120 volts. Plugs etc click here

octal 12:17 26 Dec 06

Have a look at the plaque on the power supply it will tell you the voltage range it can handle. Some of them are marked 110/240v in which case it will detect the mains voltage in use and adjust itself accordingly. We have a number of these PUS's at work.

octal 12:18 26 Dec 06

PUS's should read PSU's and I haven't had anything to drink yet, before anyone accuses me.

Happy37 12:38 26 Dec 06

Hi fruit bat

In answer to your reply:-

I will switch the voltage selector to 110 volts and use the 1st PC that way.

I can easily purchase a power lead once I am over there and use this lead for my 1st PC.

Regarding my 2nd PC:-

Octal - you said to have a look at the “Have a look at the plaque on the power supply it will tell you the voltage range it can handle. Some of them are marked 110/240v in which case it will detect the mains voltage in use and adjust itself accordingly.”

In answer to this:-

My PSU says the following on its plate:-

100~240VAC

What does this mean?

Any answers appreciated.

Also, what about my other leads that I have got to use for my 2 PC’s for my network?

Could I buy adapters for these and use these leads with adapters in the US?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Mr Mistoffelees 12:40 26 Dec 06

"My PSU says the following on its plate:-

100~240VAC

What does this mean?"

That means it should autoselect the correct voltage, you just need an apropriate power lead.

howard64 12:43 26 Dec 06

these psu's are voltage sensing and can work using any applied voltage between the 2 extremes.

mike1967 12:46 26 Dec 06

It should work on 120 volts in the states but what you may find is that it will struggle to supply all the extras if you have a power hunger graphics card etc

as for mr mistoffelees I think you will find youres will autoselect

Its never a problem going to the states with UK equipment as the voltage is lower it might work it might not, now going the other way is different it can blow it up.

Happy37 13:44 26 Dec 06

Hi all

Many thanks for all your replies.

These have all cleared up this matter for me and all is as clear as mud for me.

So, to summarise:-

My 1st PC:-

Change the voltage selector to 110V and use an American power lead and this 1st PC should work okay...

The 2nd PC - as the PSU should auto-detect the voltage...I would also need to use an American power lead and this 2nd PC should work okay...

Hopefully...I have now got it all right before I close this topic.

I forgot to ask - I am also using a surge protector here in the UK to protect my equipment - will I be able to use this in the US with adaptors, or would I have to purchase an American one once I'm over there???

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Happy37

Diemmess 14:08 26 Dec 06

The PC with the voltage selector should be OK, but the second PC will need to have its Power Supply Unit (PSU) changed to one with this facility.

Both will need the local type of plugs fitted to the mains socket where you will be living, i.e. the standard English 3 square pins will not do.
You will probably have to chop the mains end off if you currently use the moulded type of mains lead but this is a simple problem easily resolved by anyone capable of changing a plug.

Lastly a word of caution.
Do check before you switch anything on that you are supplied with the volts you think you have. The shortest way to destroy either of your PCs would be to switch to 110/115 and plug in to a 220/240 volt supply.

It is not difficult, once the changes are made and you are happily switched on to the lower voltage you don't need to make any further alterations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…