PC virgin needs help and advice!

sailorgirl 02:46 09 Mar 03

Please, please, please can someone give me some reasonable advice about my first PC choice. I thought I had done my research fairly carefully - I checked four or five computer publications for the last year or so and noted the names of companies and products that kept winning the Editor's Choice or Best Commended 'badges', and across all the magazines (not wishing to seem cynical but I wasn't sure how 'independent' their recommendations might be!). My final decision was a Multivision Vision Go 2500XT which was rubbish from the moment it was plugged in - perhaps I just got a dodgy one - but my request for a replacement processing unit was "we'll collect yours on Monday and deliver you a new one on Friday" but surely if you are collecting one, you could deliver the other one at the same time, or was I just going to get mine repaired and returned to me? Given that it was then only four days old, I wanted to return the lot under the 14 day warranty scheme and even then there were attempts to fob me off. It is going back nonetheless with the credit card company already on the case - thank you RBS Advanta. So I am left with a fantastic monitor and printer - both researched and purchased in the same way - and nothing to power them! Every computer company I do more research on results in tales of endless doom, gloom and despondency - I do not know where to turn. My top end budget would be £900 and I'm not going to be playing games but will be watching films. ANY help at all would be hugely welcomed. Thanks in advance, Helen.

Lozzy 03:33 09 Mar 03

Since its being collected on Monday take note of the serial number and when its returned make sure it is not the same. Also I would make sure you put it in writing that you want a completely new PC since its only 4 days old and not have this one repaired.. If it is returned to you do not accept re delivery on Friday, Check it out prior to signing the delivery note on Friday..

Hope all works out for you..

Lozzy 03:33 09 Mar 03

Since its being collected on Monday take note of the serial number and when its returned make sure it is not the same. Also I would make sure you put it in writing that you want a completely new PC since its only 4 days old and not have this one repaired.. If it is returned to you do not accept re delivery on Friday, Check it out prior to signing the delivery note on Friday..

Hope all works out for you..

-pops- 06:51 09 Mar 03

Reject the whole package as being unsuitable for purpose then find your local computer shop (a small, independent one - not a superstore) and get them to quote and make one for you. It may cost a little more but you will most likely get a better machine and you have the benefit that if it does go wrong, you can go round and beat them up (figuratively, of course).

There are also lots of people who build for a hobby. Have a word with your neighbours and see if there's anyone local.

Brian

hgrock 07:12 09 Mar 03

the more research yo do the more confusing it gets, when you say it was rubbish what do you mean, was it software or hardware problem, what happened, you will find that computers never do exactly what we want them to do sometimes, especially with games, which are sometimes badly written or require a specific piece of hardware, it is better to get xbox, and a dvd player and watch films on the TV, its shuch a waste of a PC to just sit at it and watch a film.
if the PC was faulty you should have returned the whole package, by only returning part they will fix the fault if any, also they will have to check it out first, hence the delay between collection and delivery

britianicus 07:48 09 Mar 03

Ever willing to lend assistance to a virgin ;- [perhaps this might be of use.
1) You may just have bought a "Friday afternoon special" a la British Leyland in the 70's in which case at the very least reject your current machine as "not being fit for the purpose it was bought" and demand a new one. You would seem to have brought the muscle in term of RBS Advanta and that should aide your case considerably. Don't get upset with Multivision's "Customer Service" agents. IMO most of these help lines are there to wind you up.
2) If you do want and can get your money back please do remember that small business's are more likely to be here today gone tomorrow than say HP or Evesham etc. Also a large company should test the make of their machines thoroughly to ensure everything works smoothly. A small reputable business is hard to beat though as most of them have a genuine attitue to customer service. IMO
At the end of the day ay manufacturer can sell a dodgy machine by accident but it's how they treat you after that counts. My first machine was one built by Tiny. I almost opened a bottle of champage when I heard they went bust and would never ever buy one from Time (no offence).

-pops- 08:45 09 Mar 03

As a rider to britianicus' statement about small businesses being here today etc., this also applies to larger ones as has happened with unfortunate regularity over the past few years as he/she illustrates at the end of the post.

Brian

Andsome 08:47 09 Mar 03

I could not agree more. To a small local concern EVERY customer is valued. Even one newly built computer represents a fair percentage of one weeks takings. To the big boys, one complaining single purchase customer is a pain in the ass. They are interested in corporate clients who buy several machines a year.

probably a very argument provoking statement from me but if you are a PC virgin, having a computer built for you wouldn't necessarily offer you any tech support (and you'd prob. be best seeking the Lifetime variety). I have had all my machines from Evesham (click here) sure I have had problems with them, but Evesham have always sorted them out for me. Last week I spent 75 minutes on their free phone support line getting technical support after I reinstalled Windows.PC Advisor Help forum and Evesham have kept my machines going for years now!
I have read Evesham horror stories on here, but the experience of a number of my family members and myself has been very positive with Evesham and they have won many awards for service etc (plus you get a 2 year at home warranty which is also , I think, upgradeable).
Bet I've just thrown myself to the lions!

Pesala 10:07 09 Mar 03

Don't worry, they won't eat you.

I agree, Evesham are a reliable company. My Eveshama Quest PC started to go wrong after 10 months. It was on a return to base warranty so I had to take it back to Croydon. They replaced the motherboard. It took a week or two, but now still going strong.

Horror stories usually come from unrealistic expectation. I think Multivsion were entitled to inspect the PC before providing a replacement, as if it proved to be faultless, which sometimes happens, they would left with a machine that cannot be sold as a new one, but must be reduced in price and sold as "refurbished."

Andsome 10:38 09 Mar 03

If you use a reputable small local shop and have a machine built to a spec agreed between you, there is no reason to believe that you will not get reliable support from just such an outlet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…