PC very sluggish after clean install of XP

Craigmave 23:19 14 Aug 03

Hi there. I have recently reformatted my HDD and clean installed XP for a good clean out really. This problem happened before my format too. For eg.. i will be playing a song in media player 9 and i will exit the player but the song will carry on playing for a good 30 seconds or so before it stops. Also when i boot, the icons in the system tray will take maybe 30 secs to a minute to appear. Another eg.. is than when i connect to the tinternet, will be about 30 secs until the dial box appears. Just seems a little slow. I have AMD Athlon XP 1800, 20GB C: and 80GB Hdd's, 640 MB Mem, NVIDEA MX 440 graphics card, Soundblaster Live 5.1 Audio. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks, Craig.

Simon_P 23:33 14 Aug 03

Have you reinstalled the mother board AGP and chipset drivers?
This is usually the first thing you must install, or your graphics card will only work in PCI mode.

What is your mobo, and what is the chipset i.e Via etc!

Craigmave 08:11 15 Aug 03

Yeah, i already done that. I reinstalled all the drivers that needed to be.

tranceman 10:35 16 Aug 03

have you tried defrag cause i've noticed that a clean install is a bit all over the place until you do a couple defags. just a thought!!!

Craigmave 11:35 16 Aug 03

Thanks, will give that a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…