PC Upgrades-physical dimensions!

wotbus@ 10:43 25 Mar 03

I am at the crossroads between complete upgrade or new PC.While reading the pro's/con's for various mobo's and VGA's etc, it suddenly occurred to me the new components,(bigger and better!) may not have enough room inside the tower!My question is: Do manufacturers stick to a size formula in order to make replacement straightforward?. Any advice would be welcome.

Belatucadrus 11:09 25 Mar 03

I had to buy new as it soon became clear that new mobo sockets would not have fitted my old tower case without fairly major surgery. I also felt that my old 200watt PSU would have strained to run a new set up. But it all depends how old your current system is.

rct 11:10 25 Mar 03

Up to a point yes, there are "form-factors" AT, ATX, mini-ATX etc. to try and avoid this problem. If the PC you are thiking of upgrading has a major brand case eg. Dell or Gateway then you may find the case was built on a modified form factor to only fit their own components, if your case is more generic then you shouldn't have a problem although you must remember than a lot of new kit requires better cooling and power supplies.

wotbus@ 11:20 25 Mar 03

Thanks Belatucadrus.The PC is fairly new, HP PAV 7845. I just wondered as most people who build their own start with a tower (don't they?) and then is it just a case of hoping everything will fit?

wotbus@ 11:24 25 Mar 03

Thanks RCT. I just wondered about physical dimentions. Because I didnt list PSU its not because I hadnt considered it. But I think you have answered my question. Thanks again.

wotbus@ 11:27 25 Mar 03

Sorry, thats dimensions with an "s".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced