PC upgrade and Windows XP activation

3rdday 22:58 24 May 04

I intend to shortly swap my CPU for a faster one and probably get a larger hard disk, but not both at the same time. Will I need to reactivate Windows XP due to one or both of these changes, and will it let me do it over the net or will I have have to ring up Microsoft and persuade them to let me do it?

TTP 23:02 24 May 04

NO you are allowed several changes to your hardware before re-activation is required , i believe it is 5 hard changes

CalmCookie 23:04 24 May 04

I changed all sorts of my PC components...motherboard..graphics card...memory.....hard-drive...cpu....and not until I changed the monitor ( would you believe ) did I have to phone Microsoft to re-register.
All the other times I did it with no problems over the net.

Even when phoning to re-register...they're very polite...no grilling as to 'What the hell do you think you're doing' etc....they just give you another reactivation code and wish you a good day.

Hope that helps

PSF 23:05 24 May 04

You should be ok, but if you change the hard drive and install XP on it you will need to re-activate. You can do it on-line with no problems as part of the installation.

3rdday 23:21 24 May 04

Thanks, all. I'm reassured.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…