PC UPgrade question

Cokane 21:45 PM 17 Jul 11

Hello there,

I am looking to strengthen the graphics on my PC world bought desktop computer. The graphics card that came with it is pretty ropey and can only just about handle anything even slightly difficult on the lowest settings available. I have also been led to believe that the PSU of this system is fairly weak and may not easily handle a better GFX card.

The PC is a Packard Bell ixtreme M3720 running Vista Home Premium. CPU: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 2.5Ghz 4 gb RAM, Gfx: Nvidia GeForce GT 220

Now I know I should never buy PCs from places like PC world, but it was a necessity as I absolutely required a PC at short notice. So Im stuck with this thing.

What I want to know, or get some advice in, is upgrading this thing in as cost-effective a way as possible to run games like World of Warcraft and the new FPS games coming like Battlefield 3. The money I can spend is restricted and I want to get as much bang for the buck as possible - so £200 is as high as I will go, and I would prefer to spend less.

All comment and advice is most welcome - any other info that is required I will post asap.

C

gengiscant 08:34 AM 18 Jul 11

I am having trouble finding the specs for your PC,so can you post what power supply you have.But I think it is pretty low so that will also need to be upgraded.As for playing the newer FPS's and taking into consideration your budget, I would look at something like this.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-msi-gtx-460-oc-3600mhz-gddr5-gpu-725mhz-336-cores-dvi-mhdmi

And for your power supply this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-corsair-cmpsu-500cxuk-builder-series-80-eff-120mm-fan-single-rail-atx

Making a total of £144.77. Now you most certainly can get a cheaper PSU but that would be a mistake, as a PC builder for some time I can assure you a decent PSU is an absolute must.

My choices are just a suggestion as you might want to go for an AMD card, maybe an AMD HD 6850.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 3D food printer prints chocolate, cookie dough or pizza

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone