cortez© 19:10 30 Nov 05

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail
Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
Leadtek WinFast GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2
Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Red UV
Zalman FS-C77 Fatal1ty CPU Cooler - Retail (HS-018-ZA)

Already have a lian pc65 case, Pioneer 8x DVDRW, SOundblaster soundcard, Disk Drives. Hercules ProheptView 920 TFT.

Now, will all this stuff be ok together and be a good performer in the latest games? Will i really notice the difference with high end ram like this as there is GeIL modules ( like GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS3 - £114). Also i really can't decide if i should go for the 6800GT or the 7800 GT. CAn anyone offer some advice?
Bear in mind this is my first upgrade in over 2 years fcrom an athlon xp

SG Atlantis 19:17 30 Nov 05

if ya can afford a 7800gt get one!

dawnyworld 19:38 30 Nov 05

if i was you i would go for the DFI equivalent board

as i have a an8-sli an its been realy buggy

cortez© 19:39 30 Nov 05

can i just double check that with an SLi board i can use one card for the time being.

GaT7 19:40 30 Nov 05

Yes, no problem. G

gudgulf 19:51 30 Nov 05

Apart from the graphics card.....which is no slouch even with most modern games I would not necessarily bother with updating anything else....

........Well maybe on of the latest X-Fi series of sound cards from Creative click here (the Platinum model is likely to be sitting in my pc as of Christmas,lol)

Your RAM is already fast enough and you wont see any noticable difference by spending a lot on ultra low latency memory,or increasing the amount to above 2GB.

Read this click here and this click here

The current top dog cards are using 512MB of RAM and a number of modern games are making full use of that.....Doom3,Quake4 and Call of Duty 2 to mention but three.

If you are looking for a single card solution then this is what the rest of that superb system deserves!

However a 7800GT is a step in the right direction...particularly if you choose to use that SLI option at a later date and add a second 7800GT.

cortez© 19:54 30 Nov 05

sorry, that above spec is what i want to upgrade to :0

gudgulf 20:01 30 Nov 05

Oops,must learn to read more carefully.You are building not upgrading!

You need to use the Cas2 memory in a high powered gaming rig.The actual difference in performance is relatively small but the system will perform better in games as the extra speed will translate into smoother transition of data between the pc and graphics card.And definitely go for the 2GB option.click here

It's a bit difficult to read but that really is the Quake4 executable peaking at over 1.14GB of memory usage.......the peal for the whole pc during the game came out at over 1.8GB!!!

Make the 7800GT a baseline starting point.....the 6800GT will grind to a halt on some of the most up to date games if you turn up the settings.

The rest of my first post still stands.

cortez© 11:40 02 Dec 05

hum thx for replies poeople

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…