PC upgrade advice from my current specs

deadlydanscott 25 Mar 13

Just a general bit of advice needed. I've had my pc three years now (specs below) and I dont really want to fork out for a new one as I think mine is still pretty decent. Just wondered what people thought would be good areas to update. I use the PC for Blu Rays, gaming (mainly) and normal internet use. So graphics/speed is important of course. Let me know what you think. Cheers

ASUS P7P55 LX Mainboard - Intel Core i5/i7 - LGA 1156 / ATX Intel Core i7 860 QUAD CORE Processor (2.8ghz, 8MB Cache) - LGA1156 4GB 1333mhz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM - (2 x 2gb) 1GB ATI Radeon HD5870 Graphics Card NZXT HUSH ATX MIDI TOWER + 700W PSU.

iscanut2 25 Mar 13

I would suggest Graphics card and memory upgrade. What is your OS ?

deadlydanscott 25 Mar 13

Windows 7 OS - although I have been thinking about going to 8....just heard it was a bit, iffy. I need a decent external HD to back up everything first.

Any particular graphics card you would reccomend??

Chronos the 2nd 25 Mar 13

If your operating system is only 32bit then a memory upgrade is pointless but a graphics card upgrade would certainly help but what GPU to suggest depends on your budget.

deadlydanscott 25 Mar 13

its 64 bit and budget wise it really depends on price vs improvement. I'd happily spend a few hundred pounds for a significant improvement.

Chronos the 2nd 25 Mar 13

Switch ram up to 2x4GB 1600 CL8, ssd 256GB, gpu to 670 or 7870 depend on budget. Just checking whether a CPU upgrade would boost your spec at all.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message