PC Upgrade

TheSphere 17:40 15 Jan 07

Hi, a year ago, I purchased a Dell Dimension DM051, With 1 GB Ram, 160 GB Hard drive, 256 MB ATI x600 GPU, and a Pentium 4 processor, with 3ghz speed.

However, my processor seems to now be redundant, with all the talk of dual core processors, so I was wondering, would I be able to upgrade my current Processor with a type of Core 2 Duo processor.

Would I just need to replace the processor, or would I also need to take into accounting over heating, and would I need a new motherboard?

I want to use the PC for gaming purposes, so please suggest more suitable upgrades that could be made.

Totally-braindead 17:51 15 Jan 07

Its very unlikely, you would probably need a new motherboard.
I fail to see however why you think your processor is redundant. Is there a game you wish to play that your PC won't run is that what concerns you. I have a 3500 AMD chip, just a bit faster than yours and my mate has a 2500 AMD chip and although they aren't the fastest things out I wouldn't consider them redundant.
A new graphics card might improve things.

Totally-braindead 17:53 15 Jan 07

Download SIW and see if that gives you info on the motherboard click here if you can identify the motherboard and find more info on it then you could confirm if it will take a faster processor.

TheSphere 17:56 15 Jan 07

I feel like upgrading the processor as I constantly hear about how many games in the near future will be optimised for dual cores, so to get a good gameplay experience, a Core 2 Duo seems like a good solution.

With regards to the graphics card, I am looking to upgrade this as well. I am pretty certain I have a PCI-Express compatible card currently, which I have heard are more futureproof than AGP, so I will keep my options open..

TheSphere 18:00 15 Jan 07

Property Value
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0KF623
Serial Number ..CN698615A6252F.

Chipset Vendor Intel Corporation
Chipset Model 945G Processor to I/O Controller
South Bridge 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Controller
SMBus Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller @ECE0h

CPU Intel Pentium 4 HT
Cpu Socket LGA775
Processor Upgrade ZIF Socket
Max CPU Speed 4000 MHz

System Slots 2 PCI

OnBoard devices
Video (Disabled) Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Ethernet (Enabled) Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connections
Sound (Enabled) High Definition Audio Controller

Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None
Use System memory

Here is the information from the Motherboard section..

Totally-braindead 18:00 15 Jan 07

TheSphere I am not trying to put you off or anything its entirely up to you if you wish to do this but at the moment as far as I know there is no game out that is optimised for dual core and until there is it won't take advantage of it. And of course in 6 months time they will more than likely be cheaper.
If you can find the specification of your motherboard you could at least see if what you propose is possible.

Totally-braindead 18:06 15 Jan 07

This might be differcult if what they are saying in the Dell Forums is correct click here

TheSphere 18:08 15 Jan 07

Thanks for looking that up Totally-Braindead.

Totally-braindead 18:11 15 Jan 07

See if this helps click here theres more info on their website but I can't find a definative answer. You could email Dell and ask.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced