pc upgrade

delantero 08:44 27 Oct 05

I need to upgrade my computer. I currently have a PIII 1Ghz with 256 SD ram. Looking to change case , motherboard, processor and ram. I don't want to spend a lot of money so I was looking at a sempron 3000 which seems to be the cheapest budget option. I don't play games or use the computer for any video editing or anything like that. Is it worth spending an extra 40 quid and getting the AMD 64 3200 socket 939? Will I notice a big difference or will I be ok with the sempron and maybe use the extra cash for I Gig of ram as opposed to 512? I've read that the 754 socket is not as good for futrure upgrades. Thanks for any advice

Coltch 09:04 27 Oct 05

The question is really what do you want to do with the machine?.

The sempron is a nice little processor, however, I would personally go towards the Athlon 64 on socket 939.

I have just built an Athlon 64 system and it cost me less than £400.

interzone55 09:50 27 Oct 05

Upgrading to a system with a Socket 754 motherboard would leave you at a dead end, as no new CPUs are being developed with this architecture. Going sor a Socket 939 motherboard would allow you to upgrade to a Dual Core CPU at a later date, should the need arise.

delantero 21:40 27 Oct 05

thanks for the replies guys. I'll check out the price of socket 939 motherboards before I make the final decision.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos