PC unstable - help!

kfq61 17:42 10 Jan 05

Hi,

Running windows xp on 3 yr old evesham pc:
I've been experiencing numerous problems with my pc during the last few days, firstly, the mouse behaved erractically freezing, then the monitor kept going into standby and then system would freeze. Decided to re-install windows which has got it up and running again. Had slight problem today when it froze but after a reboot it worked but displayed the following message:
NVidia Ge Force2 Mx display seems to be responsible for instability, then it goes into whether you wish to report or not.
I checked the device manager and it is showing an error on 'System Devices - micrsosoft system management bios driver. When I open it, it reports: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Any ideas on what I do from here?

Thanks very much.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:50 10 Jan 05

throughly delete the old drivers and install the latest from click here

kfq61 18:02 10 Jan 05

Thanks very much for the link but sorry a bit of a novice still, but what am I uninstalling......the NVidia or the micrsosoft system management bios driver? or are the two linked with problems to one another...I don't know what the management bios driver is?
The NVidia says it's working ok. Any chance of exactly what I should do?

Thanks so much!

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 18:23 10 Jan 05

go to click here download detornator destroyer. goto click here then goto downloads and download the latest drivers for you graphics card . the make a restore piont .then run det destroyer resrat pc double click on the new driver for card follow instructions make sure u turn of av when loading new drivers

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 18:25 10 Jan 05

the download page for detornator R.I.P is click here have a read

Ordy 18:31 10 Jan 05

try disabling the driver in device manager if system starts acting normal then thats your problem if its still playing up then it probably is not, then it could be a new program or device you recently put on or added its a case of elimenation

kfq61 18:44 10 Jan 05

all ready to go but how do I turn off av?

Taw® 20:25 10 Jan 05

what av do you have? If it is in the taskbar right click and see if there is an option for exit or close. Failing that look in programmes for your av select and somwhere there will be an option for close exit etc.

kfq61 20:41 10 Jan 05

Hi, tried all the above, but micrsosoft system management bios driver still has question mark over it in device manager. System seems stable though at the moment. The only new programme I have downloaded is avg 7.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll see how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…