PC unable to communicate with network, odd...

sam1981 20:05 06 Jan 04

The other day my I went onto my home PC only to find that it wouldn't connect to the internet.

I tried all the basics (cords etc...) but it seemed ok.

I have a router connected via a x-over cable to a small hub and my pc and xbox connect to the internet from there (pipex adsl).

As my xbox was still working, I tried a different cable and double checked my ip address, but still no difference. I then replced the network card with one from work, but that didn't change anything either.

Tonight i bought back a laptop and plugged it into the network and it is working perfectly, so it's definitely the pc that's up the creak.

I just can't understand what it can be. It is completely unable ping any other machines on the network... doing a tracert goes nowhere. I've tried running superscan but it cannot see anything else on the network.

I'm running XP pro and it doesn't appear to let you uninstall the tcp/ip stack (i'm running short of ideas).

I haven't got a firewall/proxy client installed either so that's not the problem.

Any ideas? Anything glaringly simple that i've overlooked?

thanks,
Sam

howard60 21:52 06 Jan 04

have you tried a virus scan? or is it possible for your router to have blocked you using a firewall or something.

sam1981 08:59 07 Jan 04

I have tried a virus scan yes. I've got McAfee 7.0 Enterprise edition on there and although I'm unable to update the files now, it's only avbout a week out of date.

There's no config change on the router, but I may still have a version of sygate on there (although I'm pretty sure I disabled it). I'll take a look tonight, thanks.

Any more suggestions?

sam1981 18:25 07 Jan 04

the firewall software WAS disabled, but uninstalling it solved the problem.

Very odd considering the software firewall has been sitting on there since I got the router and hasn't previously caused a problem.

Cheers for the suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced