PC TV Monitor HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

billding 13:44 04 Sep 09

i have just brought a SAmsung Syncmaster2333 PC and TV monitor. i have set it up and can view digital tv and the input recieved from my pc. i would like to know if there was any way i could record the digital tv and store it on the pc's hdd. any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

GaT7 13:57 04 Sep 09

You need a TV tuner card or USB DVB-T stick, e.g Hauppauge-branded ones at Amazon click here.

These come in various 'flavours', i.e. with many different features & capacities, so you'll want to do a bit of research before opting for one. Also, note that for the best picture they will ideally need to be connected to your roof aerial - this is strongly recommended. G

Technotiger 14:02 04 Sep 09

Hi, as far as I know, there is no direct way to do what you want. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 225 LCD DTV/PC Monitor. You could record TV programs to a normal VHS VCR, and then save that recording to Hard drive via a TV Card in the PC. I have a VCR connected to my PC which enables me to do this - though I only use it to save picture grabs from the recorder to My Pictures. I don't save the TV programs.

Technotiger 14:11 04 Sep 09

Hmm, 'prompted by Crossbow7's input, I looked again at my own setup - and yes I can record direct from my TV Card (Hauppauge) to Hard drive, though I have not actually done this. But clicking on the Record button on the Software on screen, a small record window comes up with the ability to Create a VCD Compatible file!

click here"

Notice the small screen bottom left - this is after clicking on Record.

Click on Pic to enlarge.

billding 14:13 04 Sep 09

hi thanks for your replies. so there is no way to just connect the monitor to the pc that would enable it to record. the monitor is a dtv (freeview) enabled.

GaT7 14:19 04 Sep 09

I thing the right screen-capture type software could do it, but the result will be quite poor - i.e. in comparison to the PC TV tuner method. G

billding 14:22 04 Sep 09

ok, cheers anyway guys

Technotiger 14:23 04 Sep 09

Mine is permanently connected to my PC, I am using it at this moment, as I do on a daily basis - but it is in use either as a PC Monitor, or as a DTV (via the Remote Control), but there is no way to run it as both at the same time - hence the need for a TV Card in the PC.

GaT7 14:27 04 Sep 09

"...but there is no way to run it as both at the same time" - that is true! G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…