PC turns on but monitor says 'no signal'???

giggsy85 21:30 16 Feb 07

Hi,

I have an advent 3319 desktop pc that I bought from brand new about 3 years or so ago if that. Recently when I turn on the PC button it seems to start and the lights on the mouse and keyboard light up but there is no beep like usual and the monitor says 'no signal'.

I have tried removing the connecting wires for the monitor to no avail. Please can someone help.

Many thanks in advance.

giggsy06

Technotiger 21:34 16 Feb 07

Hi, I would check the internal connections, especially memory sticks and grahics card - remove and replace them, making sure of a good fit - and while you are at it a clean out of all dust around slots.

giggsy85 21:43 16 Feb 07

Do I just unplug the box then and remove the case? Are most of the items you mentioned just plug in ones as I am not a PC technical wizard and am not 100% sure what I am doing!

Thanks for the reply.

STREETWORK 21:44 16 Feb 07

The signal is not being received from the graphics card.

No beep, could be the card is faulty or the motherboard. This depend on the board you have...

1. Try anther monitor
2. Check inside PC for any loose cables.
3. Remove and replace the graphics card.

Post Back

Technotiger 22:01 16 Feb 07

Hmmm, well you do need to go inside the case to follow my suggestion, but if this is your first time then you must be careful. First, switch off and disconnect from the mains. Second, after removing the outer casing be sure to earth yourself simply by touching a metal part of the case, this is to prevent static electricity harming the pc components.

click here

click here

Technotiger 22:07 16 Feb 07

BTW - my two links are showing how to fit these items - obviously, to remove them, is fitting in reverse. Hope that makes sense.

If you are really not sure about DIY you should get someone else to do it for you.

djbenny 22:08 16 Feb 07

you should if you are going to take the case off your computer leave the mains plug connected but turn it off at the socket therefore it grounds itself as well as you, it sounds like you need a new graphics are there any beeps when your computer starts up?

Technotiger 22:12 16 Feb 07

Hi, no beeps - in original post!

djbenny 11:46 17 Feb 07

well i think that usually signifies graphics card failure

Technotiger 14:35 17 Feb 07

Yes but also very likely to mean RAM stick problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos