PC turns itself on automatically!

steved 22:39 23 Apr 03

I've just replaced motherboard/power supply/OS. Sometimes when I tell XP to 'turn off the computer' it reboots instead - this isn't a problem. Sometimes the PC turns off but later on (sometimes a few minutes later, sometimes much longer) suddenly boots up all by itself. Is this likely to be a problem with the switch (I didn't replace the case), motherboard or power supply?

DieSse 22:44 23 Apr 03

Look in the BIOS to see if you have got "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Modem" set to enabled - and if so, try disabling them.

powerless 22:45 23 Apr 03

click here "Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer"

The booting up maybe because you have "boot up on LAN/keyboard/mouse/modem" selceted in the BIOS this would cause the PC to boot.

steved 00:02 24 Apr 03

Sounds logical - I've changed the BIOS and will see how it goes...

squareye 23:41 24 Apr 03

I have heard that somtimes the "automatically restart" in System Properties/Advanced/Startup & Recovery/Settings/System failure is the cause of this.However I have this turned off and all the other bios things as above and it still wakes up when the phone rings,or someone farts.I did get the gain turned up by bt, so that might explain that, but the other one remains a mystery.Good Luck.

steved 20:06 25 Apr 03

Almost 48 hours since I tried changing the BIOS setting and it hasn't done it once - thanks evrybody!

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…