PC turns off a few seconds after on

lucozade9 22:17 PM 06 Mar 13

I have a 7 year old HP, P4 desktop running xp, that this evening when I have tried to turn it on, has started up but then the extreme fan comes on and after varying amounts of time then turns off like the powerlead has been cut. The amount of time it will turn on for varies from about 3 seconds to about 25 seconds so sometimes gets as far as wanting to start boot up and other times turning off at the HP logo.

For about the past 3 months the screen has not started straight away when I turned it on and I presumed it now needed to warm up, however restarting it would also do the same thing and thus the screen is actually fine. Now however the screen is turning on straight away when I press the desktop power button so I am thinking this is linked.

Maybe the psu?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:03 AM 07 Mar 13

Agreed Overheat Cpu fan and heat sink will need cleaning.

Do any other fans at same time

lucozade9 09:04 AM 07 Mar 13

I've cleaned the inside which was pretty dusty but it is still doing the same. Any further ideas?

spuds 10:04 AM 07 Mar 13

Considering that the computer is 7 years old, I would ask if there have been any changes to components or regular maintenance in that time. Parts can and indeed do get 'worn', and this can lead to a number of hints that something is about to give.

The 'fault' would appear to as others have suggested, or even a PSU problem, if that unit is 7 years old.

When you dusted out the computer, did you check to see if everything was seating correctly?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:47 AM 07 Mar 13

Have you taken the fan off the heatsink? bet there is a thick layer of dust between them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know