PC Tools Overloads my PC

Warren Pearce 10:57 05 Feb 09

There's a process named pctsSvc.exe that from time to time during the day occupies up to 50% of the cpu. I guess this is PC Tools software.

These occurrences are not just updates or scans, it's happening at any time and it interrupts other applications.

I have 'all protection' switched on.

Is it possible I should be fine tuning the 'settings' to free up cpu time?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:03 05 Feb 09

PctsSvc.exe Description :
PC Tools Spyware Doctor core service. Service installed by PC Tools' Spyware Doctor or PC Tools' Internet Security and whose main role is to perform anti-spyware scans when you run a manual scan, or when a scheduled scan begins.
PctsSvc.exe Recommendation :
Leave alone. There is no point setting the Startup Mode of this service to Manual to prevent Spyware Doctor from starting automatically, as opening the main Spyware Doctor program when you need to, will automatically reset the Startup Mode of this service to Automatic !! (This is a terrible design indeed). This program normally uses between 24Mb to 28Mb of memory.

If you do not want to have Spyware Doctor start automatically, right-click the Spyware Doctor System Tray icon and choose Shutdown; then, disable the Spyware Doctor System Tray icon on the Startups tab.

Warren Pearce 15:04 05 Feb 09

Thanks for that. I've looked through the Microsoft stuff and I suppose I can safely turn off the Spyware Doctor.

How would you manage Spyware Doctor? Would you run it from time to time?

Warren Pearce 11:01 09 Feb 09

It made no difference turning off anti spyware.

pctsSvc.exe continues to run. Sometimes holding up other applications.

Warren Pearce 12:39 22 Feb 09

PC Tools caused delays in loading applications.

Even Windows Explorer suffered delays when loading folders.

It blocked setting up the LAN connection on start up.

I checked the above through task manager, CPU usage over 50%, it had to go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now