pc tools free version programmes

pookie 12:33 26 Mar 10

Hi all

Windows xp sp3. Currently use zonealaram, avast and malwarebytes free versions. I have read some great, and not so great reviews/comments, of the pc tools free firewall, anti virus and threat programmes. The bad reviews seem to be older and have been programme updates etc since.

Do you use pc tools free versions and how do you rate them?

Many thanks

P

KremmenUK 13:36 26 Mar 10

I have been using PCTools Spyware Doctor for quite a few years and on the rare occasion something tries to get in it does seem to trap some of these before my NIS2010 does.

pookie 15:07 26 Mar 10

Many thanks for the reply and your comments.

Any views on the free firewall and free antivirus?

P

john 52 17:04 26 Mar 10

I have until recently been running Zone Alarm ,Avast,Malwarebytes,and SUPERAntiSpyware and because of problems with system restore(caused by Zone Alarm) and Avast I have reviewed my security software .
I am now running PC Tools firewall as recommended by a member and I am impressed with it so far!! I have also removed Avast and have got Microsoft Security Essentials

pookie 10:14 28 Mar 10

Hi

As an update I uninstalled Zonealarm and Avast and have installed PC Tools free firewall and antivirus. Seems simple enough with automatic updates etc. A scan pulled up one item Avast hadn't.

Cheers

P

pookie 11:50 30 Mar 10

Hi

I have uninstalled the pc tools antivirus as consistantly slowed system way down. Task manager showed it as over 90% even when not running a scan etc. Using Avast again and all back to normal

P

john 52 12:39 30 Mar 10

I installed MSE and Pc tools firewall no problems with the set up !!
Maybe it was the PC tools anti virus that caused your problems ??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5