PC Tools Firewall Problem

RobCharles1981 22:36 PM 14 Oct 11

Hi,

I use PC Tools Firewall on Windows XP x64 Edition as I have done for a good while.

When I recently re-installed Windows Recently and Loaded PC Tools back on, it intalizes then after a while and says:

"PC Tools Firewall Plus Is Currently Disabled It is Advised that you enable The Firewall"

Has anyone had this problem? Thanks Rob

rdave13 23:27 PM 14 Oct 11

Don't use it myself but have you checked that the XP firewall is turned off? Then go to PC Tools' firewall options and see if you can turn it on.

RobCharles1981 23:36 PM 14 Oct 11

Will Check this now thanks Dave.

RobCharles1981 10:14 AM 15 Oct 11

Nope that didn't work any other suggestions???

johndrew 12:36 PM 15 Oct 11

I use PC Tools Firewall Plus with XP Pro 32bit - should be exactly the same in function.

Whilst I don't want to teach you to suck eggs, PC Tools Firewall shuts the XP firewall on installation and totally inhibits its operation. I do know that there was a problem with the firewall and Ccleaner some time ago (2007?) but would hope this has been resolved.

Could it be either some malware that has got onto your PC that is causing the problem (trying to allow access) or some other security software closing it for some reason? I did find this about Avira which may be applicable and I know in some cases it is important as to the order security software is installed. Perhaps a Google search (PC Tools Firewall Plus conflicts?) would provide indications.

The only other suggestion I can make is a complete uninstall of the Firewall, Restart, clean the Registry and delete all folders referring to it, another Restart and then install a full fresh copy.

RobCharles1981 14:52 PM 15 Oct 11

Thanks Johndrew

I've tried re-installing the software (Clean) still nothing I then downloaded the 7.0 version when it's installing the drivers it crashes with a blue screen! STOP OX0000000 A

Do you have a link where I can download 6.0 ???

Thanks John Rob

johndrew 16:22 PM 15 Oct 11

I know of a few, try here or here or here or CNet.

I'm also on V6 and have no idea of whether V7 may cause problems. The site says it's compatible though.

john bunyan 19:05 PM 15 Oct 11

I had a similar problem recently and have used the Windows 7 firewall since. A pity as I liked it.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4085367/problem-installing-pctools-firewall/

RobCharles1981 15:03 PM 16 Oct 11

Thanks John - ile give the PC Tools 6.0 another try I myself as much as you don't know what is going on with PC Tools Firewall.

Ile report back.

RobCharles1981 16:09 PM 16 Oct 11

The First link has a password protected file all the others are version 7.0 :-S

rdave13 17:16 PM 16 Oct 11

This shows as version 6 download, softonic.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…