PC thinks CD drive is floppy drive

leotitan 11:19 24 Sep 03

My PC running windows 2000 has a replacement Cd after original died. The computer is convinced this CD drive is a floppy drive. I have tried to manually change the driver but without success.
I have deleted the drive unplugged the CD and rebooted then used new hardware detect but it still only recognises it as a floppy drive. Advice please?

Gongoozler 11:43 24 Sep 03

Hi leotitan. In what way does the PC think your cd drive is a floppy drive?

leotitan 11:35 25 Sep 03

Thanks Gongoozler
The pc recognises the CD driv as new hardware but installs a floppy driver for it. So it show in Windows explorer as a second floppy drive.

Also on the system hardware device manager it shows as a floppy drive. If I try to change the drive here it does not like it and which ever CD drive I use it does not work.

Djohn 11:49 25 Sep 03

Do you have it plugged into the correct IDE cable?

Gongoozler 19:55 25 Sep 03

Hi leotitan, I'm afraid I've ever come across this precise problem, but I did once have my hard drive think it was a cd drive. This happened after I had copied the Windows 98 cd to the hard drive. The cause was that the cd Autorun.inf file had caused the drive icon to change to a cd, and this had carried with it the properties of a cd drive, changing the drop down menu for a cd drive. It is possible that something similar has happened and you need to change the icon with a cd with an autorun.inf file in the root directory.

Create a text file called autorun.inf with the following in it:

Type these 2 lines (I have but a blank line after [autorun to try to preserve the 2 lines):

[autorun]

icon=filename, number

In this text, you will replace "filename" with the name of the .ico file or .dll in which the icon is contained. In Windows 98 the icons are in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL. I found this by right clicking on a folder on my desktop, selecting Properties and clicking on the "Change icon" button.

"Number" indicates which icon file you wish to use. If you are using a .ico file, or if you want to use the first icon in a dll, leave this part blank. But if, for instance, you want to use the fourth icon in the .dll (the fourth one that appeared when you were browsing your dll icons replace "number" with "4" (no quotes.) In my Windows 98se system, this was a little confusing because the numbering sequence is top to bottom then left to right, so I think the cd drive icon would be number 12.

I hope this helps, or at least that someone else will spot the thread and come up with another suggestion.

Gongoozler 19:55 25 Sep 03

Hi leotitan, I'm afraid I've ever come across this precise problem, but I did once have my hard drive think it was a cd drive. This happened after I had copied the Windows 98 cd to the hard drive. The cause was that the cd Autorun.inf file had caused the drive icon to change to a cd, and this had carried with it the properties of a cd drive, changing the drop down menu for a cd drive. It is possible that something similar has happened and you need to change the icon with a cd with an autorun.inf file in the root directory.

Create a text file called autorun.inf with the following in it:

Type these 2 lines (I have but a blank line after [autorun to try to preserve the 2 lines):

[autorun]

icon=filename, number

In this text, you will replace "filename" with the name of the .ico file or .dll in which the icon is contained. In Windows 98 the icons are in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL. I found this by right clicking on a folder on my desktop, selecting Properties and clicking on the "Change icon" button.

"Number" indicates which icon file you wish to use. If you are using a .ico file, or if you want to use the first icon in a dll, leave this part blank. But if, for instance, you want to use the fourth icon in the .dll (the fourth one that appeared when you were browsing your dll icons replace "number" with "4" (no quotes.) In my Windows 98se system, this was a little confusing because the numbering sequence is top to bottom then left to right, so I think the cd drive icon would be number 12.

I hope this helps, or at least that someone else will spot the thread and come up with another suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…