PC temperature monitor application.

Daibus 12:00 06 Aug 06

Any details of a good (preferably free) PC temperature monitor application.

Just want to keep a check, out of interest, on my laptop`s temperature.

Cheers.

Stuartli 12:03 06 Aug 06

You can use either Everest Home Edition from:

click here

or MotherBoard Monitor from:

click here

Gongoozler 12:22 06 Aug 06

MBM5 as suggested by Stuartli is very good because it gives the option of showing the temperatures on the icon tray, but you need to check that your computer is supported click here

Daibus 12:23 06 Aug 06

Cheers for your reply.

Downloaded Everest Home Edition but was wondering that which is the important reading of the three, to take notice of when accessing the sensor: CPU, GPU or the HD?

Gongoozler 12:51 06 Aug 06

CPU is by far the most important, but if any of them exceeds the safe limits your computer is heading for trouble.

Daibus 13:21 06 Aug 06

Is the CPU reading the one that`s normally quoted when the temperature of notebooks, especialy, are discussed in forum`s etc?

Stuartli 13:50 06 Aug 06

You can check out normal CPU temperatures (and the maximum figure allowed - but not recommended!) from a number of websites including:

click here

click here

click here

AMD processors do tend to run hotter than Intel's models in most cases.

My AMD Athlon XP 3200+ has a maximum of 85 degrees C, but I have the Bios set to shut it down at 70 degrees C just in case of any problems such as the cooling fan packing up.

During the recent hot weather it would occasionally reach 69 degrees C on the minimum fan setting, but it caused no problems for the system's running and efficiency.

As Gongoozler points out, the MM utility displays the CPU and motherboard readings (in my case) in the Taskbar, but it also looks after the system automatically if you have configured it correctly.

eedcam 17:44 06 Aug 06

You could try Speed fan it alo monitors your hard drives click here its free

Gongoozler 18:03 06 Aug 06

Daibus, yes, the CPU temperature is what users most often discuss. If you look at the area of the core on an older style AMD Athlon processor e.g. click here, and consider that that tiny area can dissipate almost 100W, you will understand why there is almost a paranoia about the temperature. Other parts can overheat, but rarely as drastically.

Daibus 11:56 07 Aug 06

Many thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…