Pc Taking very long to start up

balmad 15:16 08 Sep 04

I am using windows XP home edition with sevice pack 2, 128 ram and 256 cache. When i switch the PC on it takes about 3 to 4 minutes for it before I can launch the internet explorer. Any one can help please?

Old Shep 15:58 08 Sep 04

128 mb of ram is the bare minimum for XP. SP2 has pobably made it slower has it?

dagwoood 16:29 08 Sep 04

balmad, as Old shep has said, 128MB is the bare minimum for XP. If you could afford it, 256MB would make things better. If you could take it up to 512MB of RAM, you would see a noticeable improvement, not just on boot up times, but all your other applications would perform better.

I assume when you say cache is 256 that you're referring to your page file/virtual memory. You could increase the size of your page file, this may help.

A rule of thumb for setting your page file size on systems with a low amount of RAM is to set your page file size to 3 times the amount of RAM on your system. Or you could tick the "system managed size" in your virtual memory options and see if this improves things.

You may also have more services than you need loading on boot up. Have a look in msconfig(click start>run> type in msconfig, then click on the startup tab)and see what you have loading at start up. Most people just have there anti-virus and firewall software loading on start up.

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

stalion 16:32 08 Sep 04

also advisable to do a disk clean up and de-frag after installing sp2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…