PC Takes longer to boot up.

BigMoFoT 22:18 22 Jan 03
  BigMoFoT 22:18 22 Jan 03

After installing a new hard disk, my PC takes that little bit longer to boot up. On the post screen where it gives details about your PC (processor, memory etc) it hangs for about 3 secs, usually I couldn't read what was being displayed!

Have 2 HDD's on primary and 2 CD/CDRW drives on secondary - just added 2nd HD and swapped devices around between buses.!

Stuartli 22:30 22 Jan 03

Go into RUN>Type misconfig and check which programs you want and don't want to open on StartUp - this will speed up the boot up.

BigMoFoT 22:33 22 Jan 03

No it wont because it's not even getting into Windows when it takes a little bit longer if you read the post!

Stuartli 22:48 22 Jan 03

You state, quite clearly, that it takes longer to boot up!

A fast system means unless you hit Pause you won't see the initial screen details.

BigMoFoT 23:09 22 Jan 03

I have an XP2100, with a gig of Corsair XMS, an Asus A7v33 and usually when it boots up, I dont see any screens aprt from when it boots into windows

1st RHA 23:12 22 Jan 03

The cd'S are slowing it down

BigMoFoT 00:05 23 Jan 03

They are I ahve both HDDs on primary bus

OICUR2Y's4Me 00:12 23 Jan 03

It's a bummer when ppl don't bother reading your posts correctly, hey...

Anyways, are the 2 hdd's the same speed? ie: both 5400 or 7200 rpms.

If they are different speeds make sure the 7200 is the master and the 5400 is the slave.
I have been told that the system will be slower if you have them the other way around...

Not sure, but worth a try :-)

jediknight007 00:51 23 Jan 03

I think it doesn't matter whether your 5400 or 7200 rpm hard drive is on the master or slave. Both hard drives will just run at the slowest of the 2 speeds and this is the same with the cd-drives.

Switcher 01:35 23 Jan 03

I think it makes no difference whether your hard drives are on the same channel as each other or share a channel with a cd. This is an old wives tale which keeps getting repeated.

However as a test why not disconnect your slave hard drive and see if that makes a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…