Pc systems and recovery disks

albu 14:19 01 Apr 07

Electrical superstores selling pc systems with recovery disks instead of the full operating system CD.

Are these recovery CD's really any good? I tried to repair a pc with a full xp CD and wouldn't work.

If the hard drive goes faulty what can you do? Could you install a new hard drive, then install the system recovery on to it?

Some thought should be made before buying a PC with these system recovery CD's.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Kate B 14:32 01 Apr 07

Recovery CDs are better than nothing, and can actually be pretty good for the specific machine as they will reset your PC to the state it was in when it left the factory, with all the drivers specific to the hardware. However, I'd rather have a full system disk.

ventanas 14:33 01 Apr 07

Yes, a great deal of opinion, but there is nothing that can be done about it. Its very much the norm now. If, as you say, the hdd goes down, you have two choices. Buy a replacement from the PC vendor so that your recovery disc will work, or buy a drive elsewhere and also purchase a retail version of your OS, which is what I did when this happened to me.

The alternative is to have your PC built independantly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:36 01 Apr 07

You can be in trouble if you have to replace the drive the opsystem is on, as it isusually in a hidden partition activated by the recovery CD.

Best bet is to Use something like Acronis True Image to copy the partition to a DVD and/or external drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…