Pc system sloooooowwwww after xp upgrade!

Jakey boy 09:43 06 Dec 04

Ok, I eventually relented and upgraded my "ME" PC to XP Home edition. All's well enough except that when I try to access drives etc, from desktop links, it takes ages for an explorer window to open!! Also, some programs take ages to execute too. I know I should have backed everything up beforehand etc, but then I thought I can always un-install the upgrade if I have probs. My Internet/Broadband connection etc, is not affected, and browser windows open as fast as ever on my 1Mb BB, but the base system is obviously affected badly. It may sound silly, but it seems like the OS is struggling to find the original directories/sources etc. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

VoG II 09:47 06 Dec 04

How much RAM do you have? The minimum spec for XP is 128 MB but it would struggle.

Gongoozler 09:47 06 Dec 04

What is the spec of your pc, e.g. processor speed, amount of memory, hard drive size?

Jakey boy 09:54 06 Dec 04

Total RAM is 512mb ! :-) Gongoozler - Processor is 1Ghz Pentium III, 2 hd's both 40gb's. Didn't think any of these specs would pose a problem, but I do seem to have an inordinate amount of processes running, some perhaps left over from ME, and not now needed?

Jakey boy 10:05 06 Dec 04

bump^

Jakey boy 10:08 06 Dec 04

Gotta go to bed soon guys - nightshift! - please post if any ideas, and I'll be back after 4:00pm!

Jakey boy 10:16 06 Dec 04

Thanks for the interest, gotta sleep now. I'll check back later to see if anyone can help. Thanks to VoG™ and Gongoozler for taking an interest, hope to hear more from you later. - Jake

Gongoozler 10:23 06 Dec 04

Yes, that spec should be fine. I think you're probably right about the excess number of processes. A good way of disabling startup programs is with RegSeeker click here, with it you can temporarily disable or permanently remove startup items, and as long as you've ticked the box, you can always reinstate the deletions if they give problems.

kult 10:32 06 Dec 04

Hi ya

I take it you upgraded from ME to XP IMHO its best to do a fresh install from scratch.

If you over write an exisiting OS with A newer version it takes up a great deal more space than a fresh install.

I upgraded a laptop to XP pro from ME but had to do it again with a fresh install because the machine was so slow. However even with a fresh install it was still quite slow. XP is a beast of an os and is quite hungry when to comes to memory and processes.

Hope thats helps a bit.

K

VoG II 10:37 06 Dec 04

Try defragmenting.

Gongoozler 10:41 06 Dec 04

Also converting the file system to NTFS can speed things up a bit - but for most purposes it's a one-way process

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…