PC switching off without warning

The Belarussian Mafia 21:15 16 Mar 05

PC just switched off in the middle of a game for no apparent reason (and its only a few weeks old). My son thought there'd been a power cut! Checked cables & sockets, then switched on again - and the same happened within about 30 seconds, with no programmes running. What on earth is going on?

jbp1982 21:25 16 Mar 05

Get it back to the store.

josie mayhem 21:31 16 Mar 05

Could be several things causing this.

Can you hear any fans working, it could be that the processor fan has stopped or packed up. THe processor will heat up very quickly, and to protect it the system will shut down, normanly you hear a warning bleep or sirien.

Do you get a bleeps when you try to boot the system?

Are you happy to or would it void the warrenty to open the case up, and visual check that fans are working and that everything is connected?

Or the actual power supply unit might have gone west?

The Belarussian Mafia 21:34 16 Mar 05

jbp1982 - it makes sense, and you sound sure. The guarantee is very poor - I'm supposed to pay for carriage back to base. How easy is it to replace the PSU (which I understand to be a glorified power adaptor)?

The Belarussian Mafia 21:36 16 Mar 05

josie mayhem - No bleeps. I intend to contact the company tomorrow - just wanted to get an inkling beforehand about what might be up.

jbp1982 21:41 16 Mar 05

I had a emachines that did that, I never bothered with questions, I took back to the store as it was only two mile away and like you it was only a few weeks old. The guy in the store said it was the power supply, I got a refund on that one.

Although I was assertive it's merely an opinion, I couldn't advise you on replacing a PSU.

I had my new one built for me, and as part of the warranty they do all work for me, even tasks as simple as upgrading RAM, otherwise my warranty would be void.

rubella 11:21 17 Mar 05

The Belarussian Mafia

The procedure is simple. Undo four screws and the PSU unit will drop out. In a most simple case – one cable will go to MB and the other connectors just push fit on the drives.

Caveat - The new ATX PSUs have a 24 pin connector to the MB older ones use a 20pin.

Not all PSUs are created equal regardless of how many watts it claims. I personally stick with Enermax.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…