PC switching off Unexceptedly

mcheathen 14:56 23 Aug 13

It could happen between a period of usage from 20mins to a few hours. Earlier on today it went off on two successive occasions - after a 20mins period and then after a period of one hour. Last night it lasted for about 4hours before going off.

No problem booting up. Yes I cleaned the dust out of the inside and ensured that power cable was securely in place. Could it be the power supply?

mcheathen 14:57 23 Aug 13

BTW any chance that spy/malware could be causing problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:16 23 Aug 13

Yes I cleaned the dust out of the inside and ensured that power cable was securely in place.

Did you remove the Cpu fan from the heat sink and remove the blanket of dust that will have gathered there? This is the most likely cause of overheating and shut down as per your symptoms.

mcheathen 15:51 23 Aug 13

Erm, no I never removed the Cpu fan from the heat sink. I thought about it, but I wasn't sure how to remove it. If there is another unexpected power off then I'll have ago. thanks

bumpkin 16:51 23 Aug 13

Could well be the problem then, I would check it anyway, they usually just unclip.

woodchip 17:28 23 Aug 13

Take care Plastic hooks are easy broken

mcheathen 13:25 24 Aug 13

I eventually did get round to removing the CPU fan. It was a tricky task and I cleaned out the thin film of dust and put it back together. I switch PC and it worked for just over one hour and powered off again.

So what else could be wrong - power supply? - motherboard?

woodchip 13:57 24 Aug 13

When you put the Heatsink Back you should have replaced the thermal paste between CPU and it

woodchip 13:58 24 Aug 13

When you put the Heatsink Back you should have replaced the thermal paste between CPU and it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:59 24 Aug 13

Age of PC?

Continuing with overheat:-

Could be you need to clean off and reapply thermal paste between the CPU and heat sink.

PSU is more likely than motherboard

but have known motherboard flex with heat and crack a printed circuit (almost impossible to find as fault disappears as board cools and flexes back).

Have you scanned for malware and viruses?

mcheathen 17:15 24 Aug 13

The thermal paste must have got wiped away with the dust. Where can I get this thermal paste from. The PC is about 4 years old.

No I haven't yet scanned for virus and malware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced