Pc switching itself off

dads3a 10:53 27 Nov 05

My pc keeps switching itself off every now and again. When you reboot it, it then sticks at the memory check and won't go any further. I have to switch it off at the power button at the back to get the machine to reboot.Many thanks for any help

Methedrine 11:15 27 Nov 05

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options and check that "System Standby" is set to "Never".

It could also be that the on/off switch on the front of your PC is on its way out. This usually means a new case.

If possible, try the PSU in another PC to see if this recreates the problem. If it does, then you need a new PSU.

dads3a 12:27 27 Nov 05

the light round the power button are staying on. Getting it switched back on is no problem its just after it switches off it freezes at the memory test then it will go if I switch it off at the back and then back on again

€dstowe 12:38 27 Nov 05

Random switch offs are very often due to overheating.

Does your machine have temperature measuring facilities, especially of the CPU?

Ensure all your fans are working - in particular the one on the CPU heatsink and make sure it is not clogged up with dust (amazing how much dust can collect in a computer case).

dads3a 12:41 27 Nov 05

Dont know if it has temperature measuring. If its in task manager then I dont see it

VoG II 12:45 27 Nov 05

Try this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017