PC Switches Off After Windows 7 SP1 Update

Mouse1903 18:33 08 Mar 11

Hey all, first my pc spec as follows:

2004 Mesh Elite M 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 Hyper Threading
Windows 7 installed 2010 (originally came with XP)
ASUSTek P4R800-VM-FSB 800 with 10/100 Ethernet Lan Motherboard
2 GB RAM installed 2010 (originally came with 1 GB)
400 GB hard drive installed 2007 (originally came with 200 GB)
2 x DVD Re-writers (Sony DVD-Rom DDU1613 replaced in 2010)
Radeon 256 MB 9550 Graphics Card

I installed Windows 7 (32 Bit) at the beginning of last year with no issues and the computer had been running better than ever. Only small issue was an error message after start up saying that the Graphics Card driver couldn't be updated (I thought this was due to it being an older card). Noticed 2 weeks ago the update for SP1 was available so went to install it. Left my computer running when I went out and came home to find it was switched off so assumed it was my parents who did it.

Got up next morning and switched it on and got the screen saying it didn't shut down properly and if I wanted to run in safe mode, so selected no. Started loading up to the Windows 7 login screen then the computer just completed shut off. Tried running it again, this time selecting safe mode. About 20 seconds after selecting it, the computer shut down again. Final try and it came up with a different screen saying the computer had suffered some sort of error, and it gave me the option of starting system recovery (which I selected) or starting windows normally. Again the computer then just shut off. Final option was to go into the computers own setup menu by pressing F8. This allowed me to navigate for 20 seconds or so before it would freeze for 5 seconds and shut down.

Took the covers off and got rid of a heap of dust. Started it up and now the monitor doesn't even power up, and the shutting down after 15 - 30 seconds problem persists. Tried with a different monitor and cable and same problem. Other weird thing is the new DVD drive I installed last year didn't eject when I pressed the button. Ever since this new issue of the computer not powering up the monitor, the DVD drive will now open. There are 3 fans in the computer and they all sound different now too.

So basically I'm left with a computer that can't even power up a monitor, and even if it does, it doesn't stay on long enough to boot up a CD or floppy.

Any help is much appreciated as I would prefer not to have to buy a new pc, also made the mistake of not backing up my files for the last 6 months.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 08 Mar 11

Disconnect hard drive and see if it will boot to an error message ... "No operating system"

Mouse1903 19:32 10 Mar 11

Thanks but trouble is it won't power a monitor so can't see what's on the screen

961 19:40 10 Mar 11

Take the covers off
Ground yourself on the metal computer case
Ensure graphics card and ram fully seated
Turn on
All fans working?
Does the motherboard have on board graphics?
If so remove Radeon card and try boot up
What happens?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…