PC switches off

wesparmalee 09:06 04 Apr 06

I hope someone can help with this.My Pc for some reason has started switching itself off.This does not happen all the time, but whenever i first try to turn it on.I can get as far as the desktop coming on screen, and then the PC will turn off.The strange thing about it, is i can still hear the PC working, and the power button will still be on, but everything else about the system looks as it would if you had just turned the computer off.I then have to press the power button off, then on again to go through the process again.Sometimes this takes three or four attempts until it works normally.When it happened this morning the following message appeared on the screen during boot-up.Error 0251 system CMOS sumcheck bad, default configuration used.Press delete to setup, or F1 to resume.I don't know if this is relevant, but i've never had this message before.I'm using Windows XP.Please advise, thanks in advance.

Diodorus Siculus 10:10 04 Apr 06

CMOS checksum errors can be caused by a failing motherboard battery - that might be worth replacing. It's a little battery like a watch battery in the motherboard.

AaNnDdYy 10:12 04 Apr 06

and check that you have enough hard drive space after the OS aswell

SANTOS7 10:26 04 Apr 06

Error Message:
Error 0251:system CMOS checksum bad-default configuration used. Press F1 to reconfigure or F2 to resume.
Translation:
You receive this error message each time you start your PC. The error requires you to step through a series of DOS instruction screens in order to launch the OS (operating system).
Solution:
This “0251” error indicates that the CMOS (complementary metal-oxide semiconductor; a memory chip that holds data the computer needs each time it starts, such as the current time and the BIOS [Basic Input/Output System]) has become corrupted or damaged, typically because of one of these three reasons: A BIOS update has gone awry, a recently installed program incorrectly modified the BIOS, or the computer battery is running out of power.
Not much to do with HDD space, Diodorus Siculus is more than likely spot on, Change CMOS battery first i am sure it will solve your problem,good luck.....

wesparmalee 10:34 04 Apr 06

I will give all these a try, thanks for everyone's advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac