PC Switch Off Question

muddypaws 08:53 AM 27 Feb 13
Answered

I purchased a new Logiteck wirellees keyboard and mouse yesterday.

It has the usual buttons at the top including a PC switch off button. So last night instead of the usual Start/Turn Off

sequence I used the button. PC immediately switched off with no saving settings etc.

I wondered if I might have lost anything, but switching on the usual way just now the PC went straight into fully booted

with no boot up sequence and everything loaded.

So question is what mode does it go into via the keyboard and is it a risky manoevre.

XP SP3

Thanks.

muddypaws 08:54 AM 27 Feb 13

"wirellees"?!

Obviously not used to it yet.

Chronos the 2nd 09:00 AM 27 Feb 13

Logitech is a bit iffy also lol. But I can only assume that it puts it in to hibernation/sleep mode if it booted straight to where you left off.I am in the process of knocking up a SFF PC for my good lady and I have a Logitech wireless mouse/KB so will have a look later once I have it installed. At the moment I am waiting on a case for the build so the parts though connected are in a bit of a mess at the moment. Just installed Windows so will update then install the mouse/Kb and let you know.

Batch 09:16 AM 27 Feb 13

Almost certainly a sleep button, not power off / on.

This will put run down the disks and generally put the system in to a low power state, but maintain the memory. When you went to power-up, it would have just restored the full power ready for you to carry on from where you left off. Note that if you had subsequently fully powered off (whilst in sleep mode) the memory contents would have been lost - whether you would have lost any work or not would have depended on whether you had saved to disk and the caches had been flushed.

Chronos the 2nd 09:36 AM 27 Feb 13

As Batch has quite rightly pointed out,the button is a Sleep or standby button. Well it is on my Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 and just tried it and yes that is exactly what the button does.

muddypaws 09:59 AM 27 Feb 13

Chronos the 2nd

Batch

Thanks for quick replies. Think I will continue to shut down via Windows to prevevnt any problems.

muddypaws 10:01 AM 27 Feb 13

"prevevnt".

Done it again

muddypaws 10:04 AM 27 Feb 13
Answer

Bit disappointed that the mouse takes 2X AAAs. Been using two of my many AA re-chargeables in the old one.

Will see if the battery life is as good as it says on the box.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…