PC to surf Net without Phoneline?

Deafgit 12:26 22 Aug 04

My friend has a standalone PC, (Win XP Home)with no phone line in the flat, and my friend would like to use the PC to surf the Internet. Is there something out there that would achieve this?...perhaps connecting a WAP enabled mobilephone to the PC?....or are you aware of a wireless card that would fit into a PCI slot?

Any suggestions?

pj123 12:35 22 Aug 04

Does he have NTL cable anywhere where he lives? With NTL you don't need a phone line. As far as wireless goes I am sure there must be something out there. Alternatively, has he got satellite TV, possibility to use the tele to surf the net but I think the websites available are limited.

Quiller. 12:35 22 Aug 04

CAN YOU HEAR ME.

No telephone needed for this Broadband service, but it needs 15 to join up.click here

I SAID 15

Graham ® 12:41 22 Aug 04

He/she could see if Wi-Fi is available click here

But it would be cheaper to get a phone!

Deafgit 12:48 22 Aug 04

THANKS SO FAR....but I'm not blind, yet, realoldgit!...have looked at your link, thanks for that, but ehotspot not available in our area...NTL and Satellite, and its not possible, and Wifi is handy if it were a notebook, but alas, its a tower....any others?

pj123 14:07 22 Aug 04

Well, if all the options offered so far are not possible, his only answer is "get a telephone service". Probably cheaper in the long run anyway.

Belatucadrus 15:54 22 Aug 04
  pj123 16:13 22 Aug 04

Belatucadrus, generally I find Desktop PCs don't have PCMCIA access so that doesn't appear to be an option.

richard_s 18:31 22 Aug 04

Any use.

click here

Is it not possible with bluetooth? My bluetooth plug in thingy has, blue tooth fax modem, bluetooth null modem and blue tooth modem listed in control panel.

richard_s 18:33 22 Aug 04

Em, and probably abluetooth mobile phone :-(

Belatucadrus 20:32 22 Aug 04

pj123 too true, which is why you would use an adapter click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…