PC suitable for upgrading

frybluff 18:37 PM 16 Jan 12
Answered

Am replacing my laptop, and had intended to get better laptop, to improve graphics, mainly for video/photo editing, and SOME gaming. Knowing what I need TODAY, is one thing: knowing what I MIGHT need in six months time, is not so easy. Therefore, thinking about a PC, so it will be easier to upgrade, in the future, should I find I need to. Problem is, always having had laptop, I know next to nothing about PC specs, like, what do I need to look for in a PC spec to know it is CAPABLE of BEING upgraded. I don't expect anyone to give me a "tutorial", but hope someone can point to literature, or site, where I can give myself a tutorial (in layman's terms). Many thanks.

KRONOS the First 18:50 PM 16 Jan 12
Answer

Your budget will play a big part in this question. Some off the shelf PC's can be tricky to upgrade as the components,particularly the motherboard are usually OEM boards and not very well supported. That is not to say they can not be upgraded,just can be a little more difficult.On the other hand if you start ith a reasonably specc'ed machine then upgrading is less of a problem.

frybluff 19:42 PM 16 Jan 12

Chronus Had been thinking, for laptop, SBi5, 6GBram, 640/750HDD, and basic graphic chip, 15.6", and target around £600. Appreciate I may have to adjust that a bit for same spec in "separates". Not too worried about cost of any later upgrade, but obviously don't want to make it "stupid", by a bad choice now.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…