pc suddenly working very slow

castiel333 01:28 24 Jul 05

My pc has sudenly started running really slow.I know spyware can cause this but I have ran scans with all the programmes I have which is adaware,spybot,a2,webroot spysweeper,microsoft anti spyware,ewido,and avg and I also have spyware guard,spyware blaster,zone alarm and winpatrol installed and the scans have found nothing.I am running xp home edition.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:56 24 Jul 05

click here download, run and delete all it finds. Download regseeker from click here run and delete all it finds. Go to start-run and type msconfig. Go to the start up tab and se how many processes are running. You do not need most of them. Post back with how many are running. Finally defrag your computer.

You have far too many 'security' programmes, just ensure that they are all not working at the same time. An AV, MS Antispy and a firewall are all that need to be running in the background.

G

Pooke 13:06 24 Jul 05

With all those protection softwares no wonder. I have AVG, MS antispy, A2, adaware and ZA.

Terry Brown 16:06 24 Jul 05

MS Antispyware, although is a good system can seriously slow your system down, try opting for a good firewall instead

recap 15:12 26 Jul 05

Check to see how many Cookies, Temp Internet & Temp files you have and delete them. This may help speed your system up.

p;3 09:40 06 Aug 05

has this improved, or can you not now even run your computer and have to use another to access this forum?

Aspman 14:47 10 Aug 05

Are all of your antispyware programs up-to-date?

If they are not, you could still have an infection but one which would not be picked up.

sunny staines 15:15 10 Aug 05

have you downloaded a ram tester to check your memory chips are working ok.

click here

the above link gives a free one, save to desktop then unzip to a floppy, open the floppy and click on the install icon, then reboot the pc with the floppy in the drive and the program starts automatically.

I have just run this program found no errors but my system runs better.

Foxy Loxy 18:37 20 Aug 05

My computer has also been running slow and I've followed your advice, which has helped, thanks for that but I think I've still got too many things running on start up too. I've got AVG, adaware and ZA but when I go to the start up tab there is quite a lot ticked (There are about 14 icons on the task bar). The problem is I don't know what to untick and what must be left ticked. Can someone tell me what are the basic minimum things that must be left ticked? I would like to offload as much as possible to get extra speed. Thanks.

p;3 21:44 20 Aug 05

if you have a problem with your pc it is best to start your own thread; do you know how to do that?

jakimo 22:50 23 Aug 05

As people have taken time out to try and help with your problem,it would be certious of you if you let it be known if any of the suggestions were of help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…