PC suddenly shuts down

limit1 00:02 05 Nov 03

I have recently built a new system built around an ASUS A7V8X-x m/b, coupled with an AMD 2600+ CPU and 2x256 DDR 2700 RAM.

The system unexpectidly shut when I tried to load Win XP, but remained stable when I loaded Win 2000. I loaded Win XP over the top of 2000, without any problems. Now when I try to load the software for my AstraMax scanner as soon as the PC tries to copy the files from the CD to the hard drive the system shuts down. Has anyone else had similar problems. I suspect the either RAM or the CPU is to blame, as the system only sees the CPU as a 2000+, not a 2600+. I have tried to set the bios manualy, but the system hangs when I adjust the chip to it's correct speed of 2083MHz (the system automaticaly picks 1666Mhz. Help!!

Simon_P 00:25 05 Nov 03

I think but am not certain that your FSB speed should be 166 Mhz to get your CPU you be detected as 2600.

If you have over clocked your FSB by too much then this could make your system seriously unstable.

I dont think that the CPU or memory is the problem here.

Simon_P 10:43 05 Nov 03

limit1

In BIOS you need to set your FSB to 166 which will give you the resulting
frequency of 333.

Your CPU will then be recognised as 2600+

In my opinion if your setting FSB to 266 this is to high and this is maybe
causing the problem.

limit1 10:54 05 Nov 03

Simon, thanks for the info, the FSB is currently set to 133Mhz - the default that the M/board 'picked up' and unfortunately the system willl restart - sometimes when it is just starting to copy set up files to the hard drive, other times when I dial out using Tiscali. If i set it to 166Mhz, the PC will not start at all. This is very frustrating, as I can't seem to pin the fault down.......which leads me to suspect the memory modules or the CPU.

Simon_P 11:14 05 Nov 03

It's dificult to tell without seeing it.

There are however others on here that have a far deeper knoledge than I do.

Bump this thread later when there are more users online

^Bump^

wizkidwall_03 11:20 05 Nov 03

This is a built in feature of windows xp the system will shut down when a sytem file is about to be damaged
usually it is because of the graphics card try reinstalling the drivers for it

Nades 12:35 05 Nov 03

I have also just put the same motherboard in with amd xp 2600 and 512 ddr 333hz. The pc hung when setting the processor speed. I had to under clock it slightly to make it run. If you set the speed to 2083 and fsb to 133 and increase the x by one each time checking that the frequency stays at 333hz. Not very scientific but seems to work. Start at 9x.

limit1 08:36 13 May 04

I have at long last sorted this problem. It turned out to be the processor. I replaced it with a new one, and the machine works perfect! The strange thing is, I tried the 'old' processor in another computer and it's fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…