PC suddenly asking for password

eddiek 11:29 02 Apr 08

When I turned on my other desktop yesterday it suddenly asking for password wherein I haven't change anything on the setup.

It has an AMD ATHLON64 X2 4800+ 2.3Ghz, though I contacted AMD and they said it has nothing to do with the processor or motherboard. They the problem is on the harddisk. I've got Samsung 250GB SATA 7200rpm hard drive.

Can anybody help me on this. Many thanks.

rawprawn 11:37 02 Apr 08

What is the Operating system?

rawprawn 11:44 02 Apr 08

If it's Vista click here

XP
click here

eddiek 03:04 03 Apr 08

Thank you very much for your quick response. Yes my O.S. is XP, i can't do the instructions you gave me under XP because my PC is halted for a password as soon as I turn it on.

Does it has something to do with my hard drive? Will reformatting the hard disk the only solution for this?

Please help. Thanks.

gazcoyle 06:01 03 Apr 08

Are you saying there is a bios password set

rawprawn 08:45 03 Apr 08

It's unlikely to be your hard drive.
Remove Battery that provides power to hold data in CMOS. Leave it off for couple of minutes then put it back on place. Boot-up, go straight to BIOS and load default settings.

rawprawn 09:19 03 Apr 08

click here read the instructions for removing it.

Diemmess 09:36 03 Apr 08

First of all do the battery removal/replacement. This will largely rid you of some aberrant setting.

But in case you don't know how to reach the BIOS -

From the moment you switch on keep tapping the Delete key (some computers use F2 instead.)
You should arrive at a strange screen most;y blue with yellow white and red text.

You can move about with arrow keys and look (usually lower right) for - Default settings or Factory default settings and select that.
Finally look for an option to Save settings and Exit.

Choose that and the computer will reboot back to normal - hopefully!

peter99co 11:03 03 Apr 08

I think you may find it is Microsoft giving you a reminder to change your password. Part of their nanny system to protect users from themselves

peter99co 11:10 03 Apr 08

This is an example posted by Fruit Bat/\o/\
ref Vista iclick here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…