PC struck by lightening

enviro 10:15 24 Sep 07

Hi, wireless router/ modem affected by lightening, pc wont come onwhen powered up. Floppy drive chatters when power turned on, cd drawer wont open, no signal to monitor . The lightening seems to have come down phone line not via electric supply. Is the pc completly stuffed I know the router is burnt out I can see the scorch marks on the case, but no evidence of anything in pc only that it will not work.

brundle 11:22 24 Sep 07

Disconnect all but essential hardware, listen for beeps when you start the PC. Do you hear fans starting up?

enviro 11:51 24 Sep 07

When pc is turned on at wall socket fan runs at half speed and light on front of case flickers, no beeps at all. Then when I turn switch on front of pc on fan runs at normal speed.

DieSse 12:15 24 Sep 07

"Is the pc completly stuffed"

I would think yes. You can probably only checkout each bit individually in a known working system.

Most important thing to check is the hard drive - then at least you know whether your software/data is recoverable.

But be WARNED that a severely damaged hard drive can blow a PSU in a working system even.

EARLR 16:23 24 Sep 07

your insurance, take pictures of everything, your telephone provider is responsible for all damage caused by their equipment.
According international conventions all cable entering into a subscribers premises must be protected and earthed to prevent extreme voltages and currents from entering the customers premises.
Don´t let them give You that "ACT OF GOD" crap. He or She had nothing to do with it. It is the Telecom´s fault.

Good Luck

Forum Editor 23:11 25 Sep 07

I'm afraid that's not true. Nor is an act of god 'crap'. In legal terms an act of god is an unpredictable and unpreventable event which is not caused by human actions. Floods, earthquakes, hurricanes and lightning fall under this category. Nowadays some insurers will provide cover for some events that come under this category, but only in specific circumstances.

Lightning striking near to or onto a telephone line is NOT the Telecoms company's fault, and no damage was caused to your computer by their equipment - the damage was caused by a lightning strike which probably occurred near to the phone line and which induced a high-voltage spike.

As for "international conventions" about "extreme voltages and currents" entering peoples' homes - there are no such conventions. The electrical wiring installations in UK domestic dwellings are now regulated by the Part P building regulations introduced in 2005, which require that all new installations are carried out by 'competent persons' as defined by the government. A competent person is either registered with the NICEIC Approved Contractor scheme, the Domestic Installer Scheme, or the Electro technical Assessment Scheme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now